New to techspot

By Crispin L Fowle
Sep 20, 2006
  1. I see myself as a COmputer User". I do not know, nor do I really want to know what makes the hardware do what it does - I leave that to the real "Computer Geeks!" However, I seem to have some friends/neighbors who think I know everything about computers. It's times like that that I turn to Googling for information about what may need to be done. That is how I discovered Techspot last week.

Although the outer casing may still suggest that my machine is an e-machine from 1998, everything on the inside has been replaced/upgraded by someone in the business to know that stuff. From an article in the September 5, 2006 issue of PC Magazine I suspect that I may be due to upgrade from the AMD Duron, that was put in in 2002, to an AMD Athlon 64 FX-62. Now if I can find the money for one - or maybe I should ask "Santa" for one:cool: .

Part of my reason for considering this upgrade - more so than Windows Vista - is that I frequently find my CPU operating at capacity/"freezing up" on me.
    When I hit ctrl-alt-del, I discover that 80-95 % of my CPU is being taken up by "cisvc.exe". If I highlight this and then click "End Program", I am able to proceed normally with CPU now available. This brings me to my question that you may be able to answer for me.

What is cisvc.exe and do I really need it?:suspiciou

OUr "friends" at Windows refuse to be of assistance, since I got my Windows XP Professional from "somebody else." I'm sure that's putting Bill Gates in the Poor House!:rolleyes:

Thanx 4 your help

Crispin L. Fowler
  2. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

Hi and welcome to Techspot :wave:

cisvc.exe from a bit of googleing relates to some sort of microsoft indexing service..

If you think its related to some malware or nastie then maybe take a look at this then post a new thread in the Security and Web section..

Otherwise if you think its a Windows problem then you can try posting a new thread in the Windows OS section of the forum :)

Enjoy your stay!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.