TechSpot

New to this forum, used to XP & Windows 7

By MS Paint
Jun 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello everybody, I'd thought I'd introduce myself here.

My name is Gordon, I have been a computer geek for a little while now. I use Windows XP & Windows 7 a lot, and just recently got a crucial error on my Windows XP computer.

I saw the topic here (Links not allowed so I cant post the link, subject is Windows root system32 ntoskrnl.exe) and I am going to use the tips from there to try to get my Windows XP computer back up & running again. Unfortunatelty I have a few important files on there (I make alot of subway signs on that computer, which is why I used the username "MS Paint"). I can always remake them, but some other things (such as one of my train simulator routes) might be lost.

So hopefully I can resolve my problem here. Here are a few details about my Windows XP computer...

-32 GB Hard drive memory
    -Intel core proccessor
    -Insprion 600m
    -Made by Dell
    -Currently has Windows XP Service Pack 1 Home Edition

The computer is pretty old (I say about 6-8 years), and recently (about 6 months ago) got its Hard Drive completly wiped out and refreshed.

Thank you for letting me join here, TechSpot Forums!

2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,889

Hi, and welcome to Techspot. If you require help with this problem you need to start a thread in the Windows OS forum under Software. This section is purely for introducing yourself.

Your first task will be to make a back up of all your important files so you do not loose them. If the PC will not boot you can remove the drive and connect it to another PC using a USB adapter, you will find one at most computer stores or on Ebay for about €10.

3. MS Paint

MS Paint TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry If I got a little off-topic there, but anyway thank you for welcoming me.

For now I'm just looking at the 4 threads explaining the problem, and I wound up installing Windows 98 :confused:.

4. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,889

Windows 98 receives no support from Microsoft. You would be far better off reinstalling XP and then updating it. Once on SP3 you will still get security updates to make sure your PC is secure on line.

As I said earlier, if you need help open a new thread in the Windows OS forum.