New Toshiba Kira Ultrabook lasts 22 hours on a single charge

Scorpus

Staff member

Toshiba has listed a very impressive claim alongside their new Kira Ultrabook: allegedly, the Haswell-powered machine is capable of 22 hours of battery life from a single charge. With typical Haswell laptops managing somewhere near 10-12 hours of stamina, this Toshiba device is certainly pushing the limits.

toshiba kira ultrabook toshiba ultrabook battery haswell kira stamina dynabook

The Ultrabook, known as the Dynabook Kira V654, packs fairly typical specifications, including a 1.6 GHz - 2.6 GHz Intel 'Haswell' Core i5 processor, 8 GB of RAM, a 128 GB solid state drive and the usual range of connectivity (HDMI, USB 3.0, Wi-Fi 802.11ac). The 13-inch display is a little disappointing at just 1366 x 768, but it helps the notebook achieve such fantastic battery life results with only a 1.12kg frame.

If the 1366 x 768 panel is too low-resolution to manage, Toshiba also has the Dynabook Kira V834 that might tickle your fancy. Packing a 2560 x 1440 touchscreen display, this model has similar internal specifications but is said to last just 14 hours on battery, which gives some indication as to what cost the high-res screen has on battery performance.

Both machines will launch in Japan on November 20th, costing either ¥144,000 (~US$1450) for the V654 with 22 hours of battery life, or ¥153,000 (~US$1,530) for the high-resolution V834. Toshiba hasn't mentioned if these devices will be released outside of Japan, but if the battery life is truly as good as they claim, we certainly hope they will be.

Permalink to story.

I would gladly take 1920 x 1080 resolution for 18-20 hours... Then again, for USD1530, I don't mind charging my laptop more frequently for half the price. I hope this kind of batter performance will move from niche to mainstream in a year or less.

Back