New user with a LAN connection problem

By Jsmitty
Dec 28, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi, I am a new user and am trying to set up a Linksys wireless-B router to enable internet use with a desktop and laptop. I attempted using the disc with the router and it said there was no LAN connection. I then attempted to go straight to my internet browser and set up the router from the 192.168.1.1 thingy
    after setting up the info, i tried using the internet and was told the LAN was not connected again. Wondering if anyone could please tell me how to fix my problem before I start breaking things.
    Thanks
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,287   +281

we have to assume your connection is like
    Code:
    isp--modem--Linksys wireless-B router---your systems
    1. use run->cmd /k ipconfig all and write down your MAC address
    2. hardwire router--system and disable your wireless adapter
    3. now access the router via your browser 192.168.1.1, login, and find the location to CLONE your system MAC. Enter what you found from (1)
    while you're here, set a new ADMIN password, save the settings and restart the router.

Many ISPs will grab your system MAC when you first sign-up for service and then
    require that address when you add the router.

Your browser should work (while still wired). Stop here until it does.

At this point *still wired*, you can setup your wireless configuration and save it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.