New video card, need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave8603

Hi,

I just bought the game FEAR and my video card is very outdated, so I want to upgrade. I have a P4 2.66ghz and 1gb of ram. I have been looking at the GeForce 6600 and 6800. If anyone could recommend a good video card for me to play this game and Battlefield 2 I would appreciate it. I wanted to spend betweeen 100 and 150 dollars but if I absolutely have to I could jump to 200. I want to be able to play FEAR and pretty good settings and have smooth gameplay with no lagging. If anyone needs more information let me know how to find it and I will post it here. Thanks again.

I have a 6600 and it runs FEAR fine, but if I were buying a card today I would spring for the 6800 at least. Of course, a 7800 would be the best, but it's way over your budget right now.

Dave8603 said:
The 6600 really funs FEAR fine? If it does I would be happy with just that.

Yeah, it does, but the reason I said I would spring for 6800 is that I have no idea if it'll play the newest games in six months or so. I don't have any framerate isues or anything like that, but I also don't have much eye-candy turned on either.

A 6600 isn't good enough, in my opinion for playing games. My suggestion, go for a 6600GT (for $130-$170) or a 6800GS ($190-$250). You can get them both in AGP or PCI-E (The 6800GS is the most advanced Video Card that still supports AGP).

GOOD LUCK.

Yes, go 6800 GS for sure, there is really no other option for you if you want performance...

Even then, don't expect soft shadows to work with playable framerates.

Also, before you spend the money, make sure you have an AGP slot. I know it sounds stupid, but my friend once went out and bought a card for his dell, came back to install it and low and behold, there was no AGP slot :S

great point there.

make sur eu know which port you are buying for. one of my m8s spent 150 pounds on a g card sent from england to wher ei live only for it 2 be a PCi -e when he had an AGP slot instead.

i reckon that both of the cards would be fine but obviously if u got the cash go for the 6800GT :D

Thanks for all your help.

I decided to go for the 6600GT because the price difference between that and the 6800GS was 100 dollars and I just didn't want to go that high. Hopefully FEAR will still be a decent game to play and battlefield will most likely be fine. Thanks again.

Like I said, I can play FEAR fine on my 6600, but I can't have much eye-candy turned on. It'll be playable, but not too pretty. Don't get me wrong, it's not ugly either. It's just not what it was made to look like.

Don't worry, Dave8603. If that's what you can afford, that's OK. I guess you'll be just fine with the 6600GT. I personally own a 6600GT AGP and I'm pretty satisified with it. I could play F.E.A.R (already finished it) in 1024x768 resolution with all graphics settings on 'High' (except 'Textures' or 'Shadows', which was set to 'Medium') and the game worked smoothly. But, pay attention to the MEMORY REQUIREMENTS. At first, I had 512MB, which WASN'T enough, and the game became really fast, as soon as I've upgraded to 1GB (2x512MB).

So...hope this helps...GOOD LUCK and enjoy your new card!!! :wave: :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back