New Video card problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new video card for my PC. It was an HIS ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512mb DDR2 AGP. Well, I installed it and all the updates. Well I went to work that evening and when I came home the screen was black. The computer was also locked up. I re-booted and thought nothing more of it. I went to work that evening and when I came home the screen was black again. I re-booted again and started looking at what I could do to fix the problem. I got a system optimizer and hoped it would do the trick. No luck, while right in the middle of playing my game the system locked up again. Well I guess my real question would be that my RAM is DDR and the video card is DDR2. Will this cause a conflict?

The type of video ram the card has doesn't matter; but the card is definitely causing some type of hardware conflict. Make sure you are using the correct driver and if you are perhaps try a different/older one or maybe even a beta to see if that fixes the problem. The only other thing I can think of is how the card is configured in BIOS. Make sure the card is set to AGP 8x and that onboard video is disabled.

I did have an AGP video card installed before, a Nidia GeForce 7600GS 512mb. The problem was that I did a Stability test on the GeForce and the results were lower than they should have been. I figured that since I had bought it on E-Bay that the card was going bad and I needed to replace it. Hence the buying of the ATI. So... Is there a setting somewhere in the BIOS?

You really only need to concern yourself with BIOS settings if you are installing a video card to replace any onboard graphics. Since you've stated a previous graphics card, the settings in BIOS should be fine but, if I may ask... why did you switch from nVidia to ATi? That might actually be the root of your problem. There could be some left over nVidia drivers that are conflicting with the new ATi drivers. If you plan to stick with the ATi card, you are going to have to make sure that no nVidia drivers exist or you could run into further issues. You can run Driver Cleaner to completely remove any left over drivers from your system

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

No specific reason for the change, maybe cost. I did run Driver Cleaner Pro, I thought it got all the NVidia drivers. No worries now, I sent the ATI back to Tiger Direct for a refund. Thanks for your input though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back