New video card woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a new video card, and am having a very hard time figuring out why it will not work. I'll try to give any and all relevant information, but let me know if I leave something out. I'm pretty experienced with computers, building them, diagnosing them, etc., but this one has me stumped.

After seating the new video card and making sure all of the proper cables were connecting (including the four pin peripheral power cable) and everything was connected, I powered on my PC to find no image, and the CPU fan spinning out progressively faster and faster until it reached it's maximum speed, and then staying there.

Previous Card:
Nvidia GeForce 6700 PCI-e x16 256MB

New Card:
ATI Radeon x1650 PRO PCI-e x16 512MB

Power Supply - 350W (what is reccommended)

CPU - Pentium 4 3.4Ghz

Chipset - Intel 925xE

The reason I purchased the new card was because my old one's cooling fan just kind of died on me (and then actually fell off on its' own). So after failing to install the new card, I plugged in this golden oldie to have some kind of computer access, but can't do much of anything besides surf the internet/word process etc.

I just bought it today, and I'm really hoping it's not a bad card, because I had to snip off about 4mm's off the bracket to make the card fit in my case, which I'm 99% sure has nothing to do with the card not working, but I'm also 99% sure they won't take the card back or provide me with my warranty.

Any help whatsoever will be much appreciated!!

specs.jpg

Are you sure the card you bought was PCI-E x16? Anyhow, it more or less points towards an inadequate PSU or a bad card.

Do you have any other card you try in the pci-ex slot? Maybe the slot got messed up after your old card died???

Unfortunately, the PSU should be enough power, and the PCI slot is the correct one and it's functioning just fine. I guess that means I have a crap card. Darn you Best Buy ><'

You do realize that if it's a faulty card; which it sounds like you do, you may not be able to return it for a replacement since you cut the card??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back