New windows OS next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is floating around on several Tech sites, but as one person wisely pointed out, look at the time it took Microsoft to develop and release Vista.

yes thats true but microsoft said that they would go for a 3 year product cycle on windows client os starting with vista.
who knows? its same with their support for windows xp. nobody thought they would expand it...

After spending buckets of bucks on developing Vista, it's unlikely that MS will just toss
it aside and start over. The usual approach for R&D would be to scavenge as much
as possible and relabel (ie rename) the product.

yes and no. they started the development of vista before xp was released and nobody did toss xp aside. and from what I read about when the vista release was "posponed" they didn't even manage to include everything they wanted to include in vista. but they will do it in the next os which will be based on vista or vista code.

I was on another site and the following was a reply to very same question and add it here because I think it is very interesting:

Blackcomb has been in the pipeline for nearly as long as Longhorn. Renamed to Vienna, right now Win7 is not much more than a kernal. This is going to be a nearly complete overhaul of the Windows platform, nearly a new OS from the ground up. They stripped the Windows kernal down to bare bones, a 25mb, 100 file command line OS called 'MinWin', and will work from there. Nearly all current Windows programs will not work with Win7.

M$ never ever planned on XP becomming the mature platform it did. Before the dry spell, new versions of Windows came out every 3 years. M$ isnt rushing Vienna because Vista was a huge mess (btw I like Vista), but because they are resuming thier 3 year plan between major releases.

Here is a good read about Win7. There is nothing offical yet other than it exists which leads me to believe that someone or some many got bored and decided to start something in Tech Cyber Space that is already taking a life of its own.

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/windows_7.asp

thanks for posting that. it was very interesting and somehow confirms (parts of) what I said :)
can you tell me where you have the middle part (the italic) from? I could use this information in my company but with a source it would be more "effective"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back