new xp installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobb

I just installed a new hard drive and then installed a new windows xp full home edition with SP2 (2002 edition). This was installed on a Dell C640 laptop.
Windows installed ok, it asked for "user names" which I typed in and then it prompted me to enter a password. I assumed that I was setting up a password but that was not the case. The dialog box said "call your system administrator" The Dell computer was formerly used on a corporate network but I assumed that replacing the hard drive would wipe out all of the network connection. This password requirement is preventing me from launching windows and the computer remains inoperable.
Can anyone advise what has gone wrong and how to fix the problem?
Thank you

Might seem elementary, but did you enter your original password with caps lock, and are trying to enter Windows without caps lock? I don't see why this would be a problem, unless you are using a corporate XP CD to install the OS.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Thanks for the quick response. It is not a corporate version. It is the full home edition with service pack 2.
The problem occured during the initial installation. I filled out all of the registration information and was not prompted to create any password.
I followed the "next" commands and got to a screen that asked me to enter the names of the users of the laptop. I filled this out and then it asked to provide a password. Since none was created, windows would not launch.

The reason that I got the new hard drive and OS was to avoid the need for passwords which I thought was possible under XP home edition

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

The password you dealing with is not XP's but Dell's Depending upon how you obtained this Laptop will determine your next course of action .
If you know the corporate IP manager he can give you this password (In Dell Bios Setup BTW)
Or you can check out this thread
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic18780.html
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back