New York City Mayor announces new free public Wi-Fi networks across all five boroughs

By Justin Kahn
Oct 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Startups have been heading to New York City to set up shop in growing numbers over the last little while, and now Mayor Bloomberg is planning to bring extended Wi-Fi connection city wide in order to maintain the growth.

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,049   +699

Does this mean people living in apartment buildings in NYC could get free wifi in their homes? That would be pretty sweet.

Maybe that's the consolation for not being able to buy a 24oz soda in NY anymore. I wonder if the terms and conditions page for accessing the wifi asks 'Did you exercise today?'
    Matt12345170 likes this.
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,956   +728

It sounds like a sweet deal. Problem being I don't live in NYC, hell I don't even live in the USA. Oh well, I'll have to hope Google's balloons take off (Pun? What pun?).
    cliffordcooley and wastedkill like this.
  4. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,824   +884

I would be really worried about the security of this wifi. But again, isnt all unsecured wifi a hazard...
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,819   +1,432

Maybe software such as Hotspot Shield will help.
  6. Free government sponsored which means all activities will be heavily monitored. It's like wire tapping with your consent.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.