New Zealand Court orders police to return copies of Dotcom's seized data

Shawn Knight

Staff member

kim dotcom megaupload mega upload

In what could be described as a small win, New Zealand’s Court of Appeal has ordered local police to provide MegaUpload founder Kim Dotcom with copies of data from all of the electronic devices that were confiscated during the raid on his Coatesville mansion back in 2012.

The Court believes that Dotcom and his legal team should have access to information on the seized devices in order to properly prepare for his upcoming extradition hearing. Said hearings were supposed to take place this year but have since been delayed until February 2015.

The Court instructed law enforcement officials to return the clones “as soon as reasonably practicable.” Even still, however, Dotcom won’t be getting all of the data back right away.

Prosecutors told the Court last month that they haven’t yet handed over the data due to the fact that some of it was encrypted, making it impossible for police to verify its contents. The Court said it understood the prosecution’s concern with regard to the encrypted data and as such, they only have to hand over the non-encrypted data right now.

The encrypted data will remain in police custody until Dotcom agrees to give the encryption key to two nominated police officers. These officers will be prohibited from sharing the encryption password with anyone, especially any representative of the US government.

No word yet on whether or not Dotcom plans to give up the encryption password.

Permalink to story.

The encrypted data will remain in police custody until Dotcom agrees to give the encryption key to two nominated police officers.
In my opinion that is wrong.
Not in my opinion. They are trying to build a case against him and need the evidence, if they can't get it out of him by asking nicely then they should be allowed to belt it out of him like in the old days. (OK, just kidding about the physical questioning). If he's as innocent as he proclaims then he has nothing to fear.

Send that fat f**k home to face the music.

If he's as innocent as he proclaims then he has nothing to fear.
If he is as guilty as they think he is, they should be able to prove it without his cooperation or withholding evidence. Evidence I might add should be available to both parties, regardless of encryption. That is the equivalent of forcing your spouse or lawyer to testify against you or withholding evidence that either one could use in your favor.

The encrypted data will remain in police custody until Dotcom agrees to give the encryption key to two nominated police officers.
In my opinion that is wrong.
Not in my opinion. They are trying to build a case against him and need the evidence, if they can't get it out of him by asking nicely then they should be allowed to belt it out of him like in the old days. (OK, just kidding about the physical questioning). If he's as innocent as he proclaims then he has nothing to fear.

Send that fat f**k home to face the music.

Sounds as tho you want Google, YouTube, bing, twitch, twitter, fb, internet all to be gone because of copyright infringement which in your eyes is as guilty as Kim dotcom.

So tell me now that your using the internet and your a criminal why don't you hand yourself in and face the music?

Sounds as tho you want Google, YouTube, bing, twitch, twitter, fb, internet all to be gone because of copyright infringement which in your eyes is as guilty as Kim dotcom.

So tell me now that your using the internet and your a criminal why don't you hand yourself in and face the music?
I beg your pardon? Did you check your response after posting? I tried to read it and I can't make any sense of it.

If he is as guilty as they think he is, they should be able to prove it without his cooperation or withholding evidence. Evidence I might add should be available to both parties, regardless of encryption. That is the equivalent of forcing your spouse or lawyer to testify against you or withholding evidence that either one could use in your favor.
You are right obviously but these are New Zealand laws and they should know their laws so obviously what they're doing is legal.
What irks me is one law doesn't fit all, if you have enough money then you can operate above the law.

I beg your pardon? Did you check your response after posting? I tried to read it and I can't make any sense of it.

You can beg but I wont push, you can clearly tell what I am saying so please either re-read or go back to school.

Seriously now how can anyone say Kim dotcom is guilty? Its like saying everyone that uses the internet should be sued for copyright infringement just because there are people who share films, games etc.

"If he's as innocent as he proclaims then he has nothing to fear."

So give us all your data so we can check if you are innocent. If you say you won't, then you are not innocent. If you show us, then all your base are belong to us.
Stupid way of thinking son, stupid way.

...and then Kim went out for lunch, for 2 days.

OHHH I get it, that was a fat joke. Because Kim Dot Com is fat. How very original you are. This coming from someone who can't use their own identity. Please explain to me how him being fat has any effect on anything about this case. How does his being fat affect you as well. Does he sleep in your bed and crowd you? Does he eat your food? Does he use your bathroom and pee on the toilet seat?

...and then Kim went out for lunch, for 2 days.

OHHH I get it, that was a fat joke. Because Kim Dot Com is fat. How very original you are. This coming from someone who can't use their own identity. Please explain to me how him being fat has any effect on anything about this case. How does his being fat affect you as well. Does he sleep in your bed and crowd you? Does he eat your food? Does he use your bathroom and pee on the toilet seat?

Actually I was referring to his appetite.

I take it you were christened Darkshadoe? Lucky You to be brave enough to use your real name. Perhaps you could publish your real phone number too and live up to your comment of truth, honesty and never using a pseudonym. Lolachu, seriously I'm still laughing...even as you read this.

Actually I was referring to his appetite.

I take it you were christened Darkshadoe? Lucky You to be brave enough to use your real name. Perhaps you could publish your real phone number too and live up to your comment of truth, honesty and never using a pseudonym. Lolachu, seriously I'm still laughing...even as you read this.

Oh you were referring to his appetite...gotcha. Of course if this article had been any other person, you would have made the same comment right? ;). LOL

Back