TechSpot

Newb here needs help.....

By Ollie30001
Feb 26, 2004
  1. Hey yall, I need help, i waz wo9ndering if i could upgrade my processor, ath the moment its a 2.17ghz AMD Athlon, i waz wondering, when i upgrade do i have to stay with an AMD Athlon, or can i get an intel pentium 4? and how do i know if i can upgrade my processor any way?

Here are some of the specs:
    Processor AMD Athlon™ XP – 3000+
    (2.17GHz)
    NVIDIA® nForce™2 chipset
    333MHz bus speed
    Level 2 cache 512KB
    Memory 512MB DDR-SDRAM 333MHz
    2 DIMM sockets
    Storage 120GB Ultra DMA hard drive (7200rpm)
    incl. 4GB partition for system recovery
    DVD-writer +R/+RW 4x
    Floppy drive 3.5'' 1.44MB
    Communication V92-ready modem
    10/100BT network interface
    Video ATI® Radeon™ 9200
    128MB video memory
    Sound Integrated AC '97 sound solution
    (Speakers provided with Monitors)
    Accessories PS/2 keyboard and scroller mouse
    Monitors (buy separately):
    Compaq Presario FP5315 15" LCD
    with integrated speakers
    Compaq Presario FP7317 17" LCD
    with integrated speakers
    Compaq Presario MV7500 17" CRT
    with external JBL speakers
    Ports &
    Expandability
    5 expansion bays (free: 1 x 3.5''
    internal)
    1 AGP
    3 PCI (2 PCI free)
    6 USB 2.0 ports (2 in front)
    2 Firewire Interface-IEEE-1394 (1 in
    front)
    1 parallel port
    1 serial port
    Front Audio
    TV out

2. ak_in_charge

ak_in_charge TS Rookie Posts: 137

You have to stay with AMD unless you switch motherboards because AMD and Pentium use different sockets.

Look at the book that came with your motherboard and that will tell you what processors it will support.

If it was me I would just upgrade the motherboard as well.

3. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

Why do you want to upgrade an Athlon XP 3000+? Or is that what you're going to upgrade to...:confused:

4. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,212

Sounds like that's what he's got......and wants to go Intel. I'm curious also....:confused:

5. Ollie30001

Ollie30001 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 170

Ya, well, i waz just wondering if you could change from say and Athlon to intel (or the other way round) well, i dont really give a (bad word there) what make it is (as long it aint a celeron) i waz just wonderin if i could upgrade my CPU in genral.....

Not at the moment like...in the future...cus some people have been telling me that its the Equivalent to an intel p 4 3.0Ghz.

Is that true? (the one i have at the moment that is)

6. lowman

lowman TS Rookie Posts: 446

What's the difference

Depends on what you are doing with the processor...there are tons of people more knowledgable than me in these forums, but I can tell you that Athlons and Pentiums both have their advantages in different types of environments...if you are running your CPU in a system that is dedicated to mostly one particular type of task (Gaming, where video is extremely important or an audio workstation where multiple audio streams are important), you should pick your processor accordingly...just takes some research - check some reviewer benchmarks, and ask around some of the forums...

7. snowman

snowman TS Rookie Posts: 312

according to AMD your processor performs as well as a pentium 4 3.0 Ghz.

8. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

If you have the Athlon XP 3000+ now (which I still haven't figured out if you do) then don't upgrade, you won't notice a performance increase at all with any processor you could buy today. If I were you I wouldn't upgrade until another year has gone by, at least.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.