Newb needs video card upgrade info

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a Gateway 4200+ Media Center GM5084 pc. I am interested in installing an upgraded video card. The computer currently has an Intergrated NVIDIA Geforce 6100 graphics card. I am unsure if I can replace it. I have 1 PCIe x 16, 1PCIe, and 2 conventional PCI slot add in card slots. Any information would be extremely helpful and appreciated. If it helps I have a xFx 7600 GT 256mb GDDR3 PCIe x 16 to put in it. I have never change a video card. I am trying to improve my wifes computer so I can enjoy WoW with a higher video quality. Thank you

Well, if the specs you posted are correct, the card should work great! The only thing I would worry about is if the power supply will be able to handle the load of that new card. When you open your computer case let us know what the specs are that are one the power supply sticker (average watts and total amps on the 12V line).

If the PSU specs are fine remember:

You destatic yourself before putting in the new graphics card.
Make sure the comp is fully turned off and disconnected from the power socket(obvious).
Check that you have a spare power leed(4 pin) in your comp as modern graphics cards require additional power.

The 7600 is a great card, but I would suggest a new power supply. Some of the 7600's recommend a 400 watt power supply with a 12V rating of 24A.

yeah cfitzarl is right, you're defiantly going to need a more powerful PSU. I have a 250W power supply and it cant handle my GeForce 6200 like it should.

So a 400W sounds like it would handle the card with some ease, you may even want to look at some 500W. Do some research on PSU's though, some are prone to dying or shorting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back