TechSpot

Newb Question Here about CPU Upgrade for GA-7dxe

By Johnald
Mar 24, 2005
  1. Hello everyone, I feel stupid asking such a simple question, but honestly I have tried many site's to no avail :X

Question:

What is the maximum speed CPU processor my MOBO can hold? For example, it might be an AMD XP 2700. Basically I would like to know what the biggest AMD Athlon XP processor my MOBO can hold. The MOBO is a gigabyte board model number GA-7dXE. Even in the manual it doesnt say. Eeverywhere I look up the specs, it says it supports "500MHZ~2000MHZ and faster". I don't know how much "faster" and I would like to . Basically what is the biggest AMD Athlon XP CPU I could put in my mobo (ex: AMD XP 2900)?

I don't know if these numbers help but I will post them anyway at some chance that they might. I found them on the order sheet :)

GA-7DXE
    AMD 761 / VIA 686B
    Socket A FSB 200/266 CPU

SO yeah. I have seen the motherboard sold with Athlon XP 2700 processor on some websites I found from clicking your link to pricewatch.com, but I would like to be 100% sure or maybe even just like 85%... Thank you for reading :)

2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,764

Since the fastest FSB for that board is 266 the highest Athlon you can use is an XP 2400. The XP 2700 needs a 333 bus.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.