TechSpot

Newbee looks to become PC techie

By leesway
Dec 30, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey. I'm Leesway. I'm a leftover from the Jurassic period. You know, dinosaurs? I spent over 20 years on mainframes. I'm an analyst, programmer, no, make that COBOL programmer. But, that was awhile ago. I've reinvented myself as an e-commerce type and sell organic bed, bath, and spa products. I could use this space as a shameless plug of the business, but I won't because I need serious help! I don't program HTML, but I know enough to tweak things pretty well and enough to be dangerous if my ego is really healthy. As I read the threads, I'm overwhelmed by the wealth of knowledge out there. I may not be able to help anyone else, but I'm really good at following directions. If all else fails, you can all just vote me off the island.

2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,368   +125

"COBOL", you mean "Cobalt"?

Is there a point in this thread? Few people would actually read this thread, after all, Newbee looks to become PC techie implies that you may want us to teach you everything we know, that could be problematic.

No, I think you would be banned or "vote you off the island", you could TRY to hax your way in, though i am doubtful.

3. leesway

leesway TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hello HK- COBOL is an actual mainframe computer programming language. I see your point - being a Newbee in the Introductions Forum seems a little redundant. Maybe I should have said Lonely Dino Seeks Computer Help. My elderly brain can hold only so much new data.

4. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,368   +125

oh, may bad.

Still, im not sure people would pay attention to "Lonely Dino Seeks Computer Help".

5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Thanks for your welcoming words, hellokitty[hk] :suspiciou

There is certainly a point in this thread, it is to Introduce yourself, of which I believe leesway has clearly and properly done :grinthumb
    More so, than the usual "Hi I'm new" post. Actually if all members wrote so well, it would help us all.

Hi leesway :wave:

Welcome to [​IMG] :grinthumb

Please read how to post a new thread in this Guide

Before posting please read all the Posting Guidelines

To access technical support please go to the Forums

It is customary to post your system specs in your Profile

You can access many other online TechSpot guides Here

Enjoy your Stay :)

6. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,372   +167

Bah, Humbug!

Prior experience with COBOL and mainframes can be useful. Though you might need to also explain to some here just exactly what a "mainframe" is :rolleyes:

But heck, i remember those IBMs as well the CDC 6400!

Welcome to TechSpot!

7. leesway

leesway TS Rookie Topic Starter

OMG! The CDC 6400? Is that the one that looks like an old metal desk? The desk drawer opens to reveal a disk cylinder that can be removed and carried around like a portable sewing machine? Start it up and it shakes the entire room until smoke plumes emerge or something falls off. Those were the days. Glad they're over!

8. Drowsiness

Drowsiness TS Rookie Posts: 47

Ahh... mainframes.

Heck, back in MY day, we didn't have monitors and punch cards were all the rage! ;)

9. oinari

oinari TS Rookie

Hi leesway. I've often found the best way to learn anything is to have a specific objective in what you are trying to do. That's when the power of google really shines. Quite often does one project lead to another and so on. Just building a new computer, installing a new OS or just trying to customize the one you have can teach you tons of things. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir though. ;p

10. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,372   +167

You mean like the two CDC 844-21 disk units pictured below?

Mention of punch cards and being New Years reminds me....those punch outs from punch cards provided an easy source for pounds of confetti one year i brought to a New Year's party. When done, all floors, tables, sofas, etc. had a good inch or two layer of punch card confetti on it. I think they still find some of it around their house (corners, when moving furniture, etc)
    [​IMG]

11. gguerra

gguerra TS Enthusiast Posts: 559

I started with COBOL (and other languages) on the IBM 370 right around the time the IBM PC was introduced so I evolved and kept up with it (to a point) I dont actually code anymore (I'm in management now) except for some database stuff (Visual Foxpro). Like was mentioned above don't try to take it all in, concentrate on a certain project and work from there.\

P.S. COBOL = (COmmon Business-Oriented Language) is actually still in use and yes it was available for the PC as well (circa 1983)

12. Xantaeounip

Xantaeounip TS Rookie

Holy mother of God it's a computer designed to trick you and make you think it's a washing machine! Welcome to the spot. I'm Xantaeounip, and like you, I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to programming. I remember back when apple PASCAL was all the rage, and atari BASIC were fun times. I also remember the Commodore 64 being the bees knees as far as gaming went :p

But that was when I was in daipers. Do I still count?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.