Newbie here with XP problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried installing SP1 from the microsoft site and the process did not complete successfully. I, of course as the fool I am, did not take a back-up. I had to reboot in mid-process and after that I started having a slew of problems. Someone told me to remove SP1 and everything should go back to normal. I removed the SP1 last night and now the XP won't boot at all!! It does not give me and errors it just starts to boot and then the computer re-starts.

Can someone help me here?

Try repairing your install of XP. Boot off your XP CD and when it goes into the setup it should say you have a current version installed and give you the option to repair it. Try that. I Hope it works for ya.

Hello Lalaji,

Is this the CD that comes with the computer? Because I tried to boot with the CD but nothing new happened.

Regards,
Confusion

You might be able to try a system resotre point to go back to before you tried installing SP1, otherwise using the XP CD you can restore that way too.

He is talking about your Windows XP CD.

you need to boot from the cd, do you know how to do that? if your bios wont do it for you then use a boot floppy and then get to your xp cd or the cd that came with your pc. if you get back in xp, then hopefully system restore was enabled and you can do a restore. as there is no real way to unintsall sp1.

Thanks everyone. I was able to boot my PC. I will re-install SP1 (just the securityu patches). Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Anurag.

Soul Harvester

If the computer is posting than you can boot from the XP disc.

Just go to Bios and set to boot CD first. It won't be much longer there won't be any 3.5 disks in our computer as next OS will not us them at all.

Originally posted by grog
Soul Harvester

If the computer is posting than you can boot from the XP disc.

Just go to Bios and set to boot CD first. It won't be much longer there won't be any 3.5 disks in our computer as next OS will not us them at all.

I think Soul was refering to the fact that the guy installed this from Windows Update, not from a CD.

He could however, follow the Bootdisk link in my signature. There is a tutorial on that site that will help you create a slipstream of SP1, but I'm not sure if he would be able to use it without having to completely reinstall XP.

i tried to install sp1 update
after i restart same no of critical updates???
tried loads of times but no joy
heeeeeeeeeeeelp
( xp home)

i have m8, many times!!!!
just no joy!!!
did recovery on it and all is well in looneyville!!!!
thanks for good advice ""Well download the critical updates then.""

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back