Newbie here with XP problems

By agsharma
Oct 16, 2003
  1. I tried installing SP1 from the microsoft site and the process did not complete successfully. I, of course as the fool I am, did not take a back-up. I had to reboot in mid-process and after that I started having a slew of problems. Someone told me to remove SP1 and everything should go back to normal. I removed the SP1 last night and now the XP won't boot at all!! It does not give me and errors it just starts to boot and then the computer re-starts.

Can someone help me here?
  2. lalaji

lalaji TS Rookie Posts: 136

Try repairing your install of XP. Boot off your XP CD and when it goes into the setup it should say you have a current version installed and give you the option to repair it. Try that. I Hope it works for ya.
  3. agsharma

agsharma TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hello Lalaji,

Is this the CD that comes with the computer? Because I tried to boot with the CD but nothing new happened.

4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

You might be able to try a system resotre point to go back to before you tried installing SP1, otherwise using the XP CD you can restore that way too.

He is talking about your Windows XP CD.
  5. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,549

Reinstall SP1.
  6. acneil

acneil TS Rookie Posts: 17

you need to boot from the cd, do you know how to do that? if your bios wont do it for you then use a boot floppy and then get to your xp cd or the cd that came with your pc. if you get back in xp, then hopefully system restore was enabled and you can do a restore. as there is no real way to unintsall sp1.
  7. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 942

So, pray tell, how, exactly, does he do that, when he can't boot?
  8. agsharma

agsharma TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks everyone. I was able to boot my PC. I will re-install SP1 (just the securityu patches). Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

9. grog

grog TS Rookie Posts: 23

Soul Harvester

If the computer is posting than you can boot from the XP disc.

Just go to Bios and set to boot CD first. It won't be much longer there won't be any 3.5 disks in our computer as next OS will not us them at all.
  10. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

I think Soul was refering to the fact that the guy installed this from Windows Update, not from a CD.

He could however, follow the Bootdisk link in my signature. There is a tutorial on that site that will help you create a slipstream of SP1, but I'm not sure if he would be able to use it without having to completely reinstall XP.
  11. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

.. I personally can't wait to slipstream service pack 2...
  12. Looneypal

Looneypal TS Rookie

i tried to install sp1 update
    after i restart same no of critical updates???
    tried loads of times but no joy
    ( xp home)
  13. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Well download the critical updates then.
  14. Looneypal

Looneypal TS Rookie

i have m8, many times!!!!
    just no joy!!!
    did recovery on it and all is well in looneyville!!!!
    thanks for good advice ""Well download the critical updates then.""
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.