Newbie install blues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

This is my first post here, but you all seem very knowledgable, so I hope you can help.

I've bought a new AGP gfx card: Galaxy GeForce 6600GT and have put it into my unused AGP slot where it powers up, but doesn't boot into the bios afterwards. It POSTS the gfx cards info then shows my motherboards intro jpeg with hit del to enter bios, etc. but its frozen. Now when I look at the text output it is frozen on 'checking nvram'.

My motherboard is an MSI K8M/K8T Neo V with on board graphics, which I used before my upgrade. I suspect there may be a conflict, but there seems to be no means to turn the onboard gfx off. However, I think I read somewhere that that this mobo turns it off automatically when it detects a card in the AGP slot.

Well I'm not sure what to do next so any ideas will be very appreciated. I hope my mobo is not stuffed.

Xen :(

PS: I have a 400 watt PSU so I doubt that a lack of power is the problem. I will try to boot with the gfx card and no other drives/cards soon.

Manually is always safer

First, try to disable your onboard graphics card, it's safer; after that, if you still get the error, then your video card may have some problems.

Your card may require extra power. Check to see if there is a power connector on the inside end. Many, but not all, 6600gt cards have an extra power connector.

Hi, thanks for all the responses.

peterdiva: I'm going to clear the cmos after I finish this post. Should I have my new card plugged in when I do this or not?

kodrutz: I'm not sure how to disable my onboard gfx. There is no option in the bios, unless it is some unintuitive option, and I have the latest version for my mobo. I've looked for a jumper but haven't found one yet. I have read that this is an automatic process for some mobos of this kind, but not for other manufacturers who prefer hardware settings. Any idea what to look for, I've been looking for something labelled 'video' :)

mailpup: my card does require extra power, and I have plugged it in. So, the card lights up nicely and the fans whir, but as soon as the bios needs to load its frozen...

Well, I'm going to attack this problem once more, I'll post details of progress should I be fortunate enough to see some. Any further ideas would be awesome.

Thanks.

It should be something like OnBoard Graphics Controller or something like that, and the option may be dodged in a corner of your BIOS...let's suppose you don't find any option in your BIOS, next two things to do would be:

1. Try to boot using another video card
2. Try to put your card into another computer and see how it's working(or not).
3. Let us know about the progress, maybe we will have some new ideas...

I'm pretty sure that you problem is related to your PSU.

Most recent Video Cards, like 6600GT and newer require AT LEAST 400W (Pure Power) of a DECENT Power Supply.

We'll be able to help you more, if you can provide us with the type of PSU than you own. Is it a generic one or from a well-known brand?
I'm asking this because most of the generic/no-name-brand PSUs don't supply the wattage that is stated on them (usually they state only to 'peak' power and not the real 'pure' power).

If you have a generic one, you should have at least a 450/480W PSU.

So, first thing, I would suggest you to try and test the Video Card in a different PC (ask a friend and/or a relative) with a much better/decent PSU.

GOOD LUCK and don't forget to update!!! :wave:

Take the card out and use the onboard graphics,you may not even have to reset the CMOS.The idea here is to get into the BIOS and see if you can disable the onboard graphics.The setting should be in the intergrated peripherals section,just press enter on all the sub-sections,it's usually called onboard/onchip video controller.

Hi all,

Sorry for not replying sooner but my internet has been on the fritz.

peterdiva: you picked it right first time and even got the page number correct :grinthumb : kudos my friend.

I plugged the card in and reset the CMOS and it booted into the bios and then into xp without any further problems. Well there was one, but that was because I had trouble securing the heavy card in it s slot. Well, I'm going to waste a great deal of time playing Halflife 2 now and I have you to thank ;-).

Thanks for all the help everyone and I look forwards to contributing to this community in future.

Thanks,

Xen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back