Newbie Installing a DVD Burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Members,

I have a home PC that has a CD drive, and a CD burner. I recently bought a DVD burner (NEC Model ND-3540A), removed my CD drive, and installed the DVD burner in its place (just removed the wires from CD, and put them where they should go in the DVD).
After rebooting the PC, the only drives I was able to see were my HD, and floppy. All the rest has disappeared. Please help me figure out what's going on because I know nothing when it comes to hardware stuff. Thank You.

you didnt mention setting the jumper configuration on our new DVD burner. they usually come set to master by default and if your CDRW was allready set to master then this is what is causing our problem. you need to set one to master and one to slave. if that doesnt solve the problem go to device manager and under "IDE ATA\ATAPI controllers" and uninstall the ide channel that the drives are on, then reboot, windows will automatically reinstall the IDE channel and the dirves on reboot.

To elaborate on iss's correct answer.

Its almost certainly a jumper issue. Was your CDRW on the same cable as your HD or was it on its own cable? If its on its own then you will need to set your new burner to Master (you can look on the back of the cdrw to verify, the pins might not necessarly be in the same position, but you'll be able to tell whether it was set to MA, SL, or CS).

If it was on the same cable as the HD it was likely set as SL (slave), again verify on the old drive what it was set to, 9 times out of 10 it will work fine if you just set the new drive to the same jumper setting as the old drive.

The only other case here is CS, but you'll need to check the hd jumper for that to make sure (if they are on the same ide ribbon).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back