Newbie lost, Wanport help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liquidlen

I might have placed this cry for help in the wrong board, if so I apologize.Nobody answered to me anyway !
I have the yellow Exclamation mark over the 'Wan minipot (IPX)#2
in device manager. Win XP Spk1
I received a code 31 device driver cannot be loaded(nor are they found) message when I tried to re-install,update drivers.
I have 4 computers in my LAN and the system is working fine
sw/router Linksys,ZoneAlarm 4
I use Cient for windows IP/TCP protocol
Client for Netware for NWlink IPX/SPX protocol to handle print service behind my Firwall
I also disable the wan miniport
Is it O.K. to leave it and forget about the drivers .Or where do I get these drivers .
I need some advice!

the only driver you need for your WAN is ndiswan.sys, which is part of your OS.

You don't need the NWlink IPX/SPX protocol for printer sharing.
TCP/IP does it better and you are fully protected behind your router's firewall.

So change your setup and remove the netware protocol, as well as the WAN miniport (IPX)

Real;
Thanx for answering,I have been away ,sorry about the delay in reply.
I know what you are saying about Ipx protocol, However I have had this setup for 2 years .The exclamation mark on the wanport is a new development ,I am not sure what triggered it.nor can I figure out why the driver cannot be loaded.
I understand that windows printer service is a weakness to hackers,and when I tested my lan online (IPX printer sevice)I get a "perfectly secure
connection" message.
Is the wanport a part of the IPX protocol? and if so how come my
Lan functions so well without it ?
Liquidlen

Unless you are on a Novell Network, you don't need the IPX-protocol. Extra protocols only slow down overall performance.

So in your Local Area Connection Properties all you would normally need are:
- Client for MS Networks.
- File & Printer sharing for MS Networks
- Internet Protocol TCP/IP
When you use printer sharing over TCP/IP, under Advanced Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Settings, WINS tab, you should set Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

Installing a second protocol, like IPX, causes a second WAN Miniport to be installed, which is not needed.

I run Win2000/SP4 and it's internet setup may slightly differ from XP. I have my PC's networked via a Firewall/Router and Cat5 cable. I have wireless broadband with an antenna on the roof and PowerOverEthernet. My ISP has given me one fixed IP. The signal from transmitter to my antenna is constantly encoded with random keys, so unbreakable for any intruders.
All PC's can access the internet at any time, without depending on another PC being switched on. I also have a dedicated Netgear PS110 printserver for 2 printers (laser and colour) which makes the printers available to all PC's all the time.
Each PC runs a software firewall (Agnitum Outpost Pro) in full stealth mode. Any test I throw at it confirms that my PC's are invisible from the internet.
That is good enough for me and proves my point.

Hope this helps.

Real
I like your setup and I'll give it a try over the holidays, too much to do on my lan during business hours.
I am curious , how do you find the satilite feed.I am on High speed over POTS line. Does weather really cause any issues?I might try it at the cottage.
Any advice?

I don't have satellite. The transmitter is in direct line of sight to my receiver/antenna. It is a wireless connection, distance to transmitter is approx. 3 KM/2 miles. Weather has no influence, always a full 512kb up/512kb down connection. My ISP has no limits on download, great stuff.

Before I forget, I have all fixed IP's on my LAN, hence DHCP disabled, works like a charm.

whoa I guess I missed that!
This sounds like a cellular type set up ,correct?
If you don't mind me asking . Are you in a remote area? no POTS
That would cost a fortune here .Cel distributers charge by the MB

P.S. I use fixed addresses also .the only consistant arrangement I have found.

No, I live in the suburbs of Dublin, Ireland. The telephone exchange in my area is rather old, so I cannot get broadband via the telephone line. Also, my house is not hooked up to any cable, and I use a satellite dish for receiving the SKY television package.

My ISP has several transmitters around the Dublin area, and any house within a direct line of sight (up to 5 KM/3.5 miles) with one of these transmitters can subscribe to this wireless service.
The main advantage of my ISP is the very low contention rate of only 8:1 and it is also cheaper than telephone/cable broadband.
Hope that answers your questions.

If you like, check my ISP out: www.irishbroadband.ie

Very nice setup !
I have never heard of it here in Canada. I live in downtown TO
so I am sure this system is not availible to me.
I can understand why your so high on it .
Good talking to you , I'm sure we'll do it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back