Newbie question:getting dsl service

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallabing

Ok, I am about to move with my brother to an apartment because it's our time to move out from our parents house. My parents house has dsl service, but we have no clue to get it or install it.

How would we get dsl in our new apartment?
All I know is

-Find a good ISP
-Order by phone or online at our parents house
-Install all these lines and filters and register an account

Can someone give up instructions please?

Cant get cable internet, it's too expensive for us.

Hi, wallabing

welcome to the gang
most times the best bet is the main local phone co.
wher I am from it is verizon
I tried with 3rd party venders with special deals and most did not work right
even went so far as seperate line from independent (pentelecom)
business only subscription
verizon was the best for up time fast for my account
5 out of 10 for the modem that was 3 yrs ago
the modem software was for sh***t
but to install was wam bam
I used the filters on the phone lines only
used a router to replace the connection software
ask what routers they support first and buy one of those ,then they have to give tech support for it,or some kinda help anyways
verizon now has 715kb/s dsl for about 14.95 a month

SO you would order a package, wait a week for it to get to you, install the modem and it's up and running?

Usually you can get the modem from the ISP and they will kindly install it too. If they are extra nice, they will also install your own modem.

Basically all you have to do is call them up and say where you want the service. If DSL is available, some technician will show up, split the phone line, install the filter, install the modem and hopefully demonstrate the internet connection using his own laptop or your computer.

Nothing to it really.. The most dificult part will be splitting the phone line unless you already have two or more jacks. You need special tools and some skills to do that and get a decent result.

Put the filter between the telephone and the phone line. Read The Friendly Manual that came with the modem. Plug and Pray.

splitting the phone line? just get a RJ-12 phone jack to 2x phone jacks... or an ADSL splitter.. (one goes to the phone, the other to the modem).. although it will suck when the DSL service doesnt reach your house and your forever stuck on dailup for a few months longer (damn aussie telco service..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back