TechSpot

Newbie who's Started Onw Business!

By almcneil
Jun 23, 2007
  1. Techies,

Hi, my name is Andy and I'm new to this tech support board! I just recently started up my own in-home comptuer services business and could use some advice from others who are experienced in it.

That being the case, I have a business question for you types. I am using a direct to home marketing approach. My initial plan was to deliver 400 flyers a week and the calls would pour in. My thinking was the convenience of having someone come to your place to fix your computer would make people jump! It didn't. I hardly got a call the first week. So I knocked on doors and discovered the reason. Although some were having problems, there computer wasn't completely disabled. Since they weren't dependent on it (it's just a home computer), it wasn't urgent to get it fixed. Also, they wanted to see if they could find someone they knew who's a big computer wiz to come voer and fix it for free. So they didn't call me. But, by knocking on doors, I did convince some to book a service call.

So, any suggestions on how to increase my bookings? I hate going door-to-door but for now, it's the only way.

2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,415

Hi Andy and welcome to the TS Forum :wave:

Getting started in any business is hard work, people dont know you dont trust you, they dont like the idea of someone they dont know coming in and (possibly and I dont mean you here) ripping them off for a large cost, and unless its an urgent thing, like you said, most will plod on with a dicky PC.

Most of the bigboys use scare tactics to get people to get the PC in for repair, this includes things like loss of data, hacking attempts etc etc , people get worried and think twice about putting it off.

However people still will put their needs before the repair of a PC, unless its important to them as a lifeline.

Im fortunate in that the job I do brings me into contact with people who whilst I do my job often say " do you do Home PC's as well", the trust is there straight away as we fix their Office PC's they know that i know my job and can be trusted.

Am I honest ??, Yes i dont lie to people I do work for, most these days are smart enough to figure out if your bullsh**ting them and there goes a good customer.

Its a good idea to start with friends of relatives who have a PC and do a few jobs for free to start to show that you know the job, word of mouth has always been the best form of advertising since the world began.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do but whilst your here can you read the following threads It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.

A message for all newcomers.

SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.

Regards

3. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

Hi Andy and welcome to TechSpot! :wave: I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Good luck with your business as well :grinthumb

4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

Hi, how are U?

5. Smartmike

Smartmike TS Rookie Posts: 49

Well I'm also in the computer business. I hope we can help each other in the progress. In business you want customers to come to you. Flayers do work but you need to know where to advertise, mostly Middle class homes usually have one computer or more. Flayers have to catch the costumers eye. If you had your flayers in black and white thats why no body calls. Don't go to Office max or Kinkos to do flayers. Look on the internet and SAVE BIG. Try http://www.docucopies.com.1000 color copies for $90. If you want to take it to the next level call your local cable company and ask them how much it is to advertise your commercial in your area. Every one watches t.v.. Think as if you are the costumer. You have to think big in business to triumph. Read some business books, I recommend Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki and Think Big and Kick... by Donald Trump. Hope this info will help you for success in your business.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.