Newbie with a major problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick system summary:

Celeron 2.66
512 MB RAM (3200)
Mobo is an Intel D845GVSR

When I left for work today, my machine was left turned on as I typically do.

I came home and it was off. When I pressed the power button on the case...it did NOTHING. Absolutely nothing as if it weren't plugged in. And there was an slight electrical smell from the case. So, I open the case and the power supply was the source of the smell. I did notice that the small green light on the mobo itself was on when it was plugged in and the power supply on.

So I assumed the problem was the power supply. I went out and got a new case and power supply - the case is an Antec 4480B with a 380W power supply. I get everything put together as it should be...hit the power and...

NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. Again, as if the machine isn't even plugged into the wall...except the green light on the mobo is on.

If I'm not getting so much as a fan moving or ANYTHING what is that likely a sign of? Fried mobo? Fried CPU?

I know I need a new PC...but until the money comes together this is what I've got to deal with.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Unfortunately, when you psu blew, it`s taken the mobo with it. :(

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Dig up your reciept, the 'Board may still be under Warranty if you are lucky.

Bear in mind it can take weeks to get a replacement.

For future safety of your PC, either put it on hibernate or turn it off when you leave for a long time. It sounds like your PSU and Mobo both took a good hit from a power surge. Also, investing in a better surge protector is probably not a bad idea.

Test the other components to make sure they did not suffer the same fate. I had that happen once and everything was fried. I had to start fresh from a system I had built not three months prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back