TechSpot

newcomer to this forum not new to pc's

By Tammy
Nov 11, 2005
  1. Hi :wave: ,
    My name is Tammy and I just found this forum today. Wish I had found it several years ago when I started learning to build my own computers. :giddy: I have came a long way but feel I can go a long way more. I hope to learn a lot form here and just maybe be of some help also.

2. A_DOG73

A_DOG73 TS Rookie Posts: 170

Hello. Welcome. Hope to see you around :)

3. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

Welcome aboard

The first bit of wisdom I'll teach you is:
    "you can lead a Windows user to Linux, but you can't make them use it."

Confucious say: "teach a man to use AOL and they'll think for a day, teach him to use Google, and he'll learn for a life time."

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello Tammy and welcome to Techspot.

Glad you found your way here.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

5. spartanslayer

spartanslayer TS Rookie Posts: 394

hey

Hey dude (or is it dudeiet?), hope you like it.

6. Tammy

Tammy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

many thanks

Wanted 2 say thanks 2 everyone for the warm welcome. And yeah I am dudeiet. :) At least that's what I have been for 40+yrs.

I do want to ask a ? about a mobo but not sure where to post it yet.

7. spartanslayer

right here

Just post it right here (hope you weren't offended by dudeiet).

8. Tammy

No honey, it would take more than that to offend me. :)

Right now I am using an Asus P4P 800 deluxe. And I really like that board. It meets my needs. But I want to go back to Athalon processor and more memory. I run custom embroidery and use a program that is a memory hog. Any reccomendations.

9. spartanslayer

10. Vigilante

I won't recommend a board, but a couple thoughts.

If you are looking to just get a new mobo and CPU, what video card do you have now? Or more specifically is it AGP or PCI-E. It may be generally agreed upon here that the Nvidia nForce chipset is the best way to go for Athlons. So if you use AGP, and want 64bit CPU (which you should if buying new), then get the nForce3 Ultra chipset. Or if you want/need PCI-E video then go for nForce4.

For 64bit CPU, look to the Venice or, for more $$, the San Diego chipsets.
    Manufacturers like MSI, ASUS, and DFI come to mind for a mobo.

Happy hunting

11. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

Welcome, its great to have you join.

Yes, there is always so much more to learn, but with a good attitude like yours you will get there.

12. Tammy

TY Phantasm66: I appreicate that. I am just looking to build new. I am not a gamer and never have been. I use my computer mainly for custom embroidery. Right now I have a P4 26.gh, running XP pro, 512 ram and a GForce FX5500. All works fine for me but ( I know the preverable but),
    my ex wants my tower now because his airplane simulator works on it just fine. So he is buying my tower and I need to build new. I really like MSI and Asus borads. I have always had good luck with them. I would like to get a board with either sound or video on board. I do have an msi vidoe card that is agp though and could use that. But would like on of the new ones.
    Thanks everyone for listening and helping out.

13. gary_hendricks

gary_hendricks TS Rookie Posts: 107

Hi Tammy

Welcome! I also just found this forum - the forum interface is just wonderful. I'm gonna start being more active in this forum starting today. Building computers is also my hobby - it takes time, but once you get the basic gist of things - it's a piece of cake. :)

14. spartanslayer

check them out

Check out the boards I posted further up, there are some gems in there.

15. Tammy

mobo decided

Hi All,
    Wanted to let u know I am going to go with the Asus A8N-E board. Now help me out with the video card. And do any of the newer mobo's com with the newer video onboard.

Thnx

16. gary_hendricks

gary_hendricks TS Rookie Posts: 107

My sentiments exactly. I'm not new to PCs but still find this place so cool.

17. Tammy

One more mobo ?

Can anyone tell me if I can buy a mobo that has a wireless connection loaded. Thanks

18. Vigilante

I've not seen one yet that does!

Best not to put to many eggs in one basket though. Best get a dedicated card, or even a USB wireless adapter.

19. Tammy

Thanks Vigilante. I had not seen one either. All my stuff at present is wireless so guess I will buy one more card. One more ? I thought I seen a board that had an agp slot and sli also on one board. Was I dreaming because I can't seem to find one now. Thnx.

20. Vigilante

Wow. A motherboard with AGP, and slots for SLI, and a wireless card! That would be some Frankenstein motherboard for sure.
    But I really doubt there even can be a AGP and PCI-E on the same board, due to the direct memory access lines they use, doesn't sound possible. At least not with the Nvidia chipsets, which are either/or on the AGP and PCI-E. Who knows?

21. Tammy

Thanks Vigilante I was always told if I was going to dream to dream big. I appreciate the help.

22. Vigilante

Dream big huh? Well.....

Dream us a PC that never dies...

Dream us an Operating System that never crashes...

Dream us an Internet that has no malicious software learking about...

Now we're talking!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.