By element89
Oct 4, 2008
  1. I was just wondering if was a safe place to buy computer parts from.
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

I think it's the most linked to computer parts business here
    Yep I'd say it's ok :)
  3. element89

element89 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks ive ever bought anything off the internet before and it kinda sketches me out lol
  4. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 7,028   +612

Newegg is easily the of computer parts, so yes, it's a good place to get started.
  5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

I've bought thousands of dollars worth of computer parts from them over the past few years. It's as safe as it gets.
  6. JerryWithaJ

JerryWithaJ TS Rookie

Someone new to buying on the Internet needs to know 3 things:

(1) Use a credit card. Credit cards are your friends. If something goes wrong, the credit card company will back you up unless you've done something outrageous. Don't use a debit card unless you are certain of your company's policies. The chance of losing your number to hackers is minuscule compared to the chance of having someone off line swipe it improperly, but nothing is 0. PayPal is good, too, but. if you have even the slightest concern, have PayPal charge you credit card rather than your bank account. Reason: Many (most? all?) credit card companies will view Pay Pal as the seller, so you don't have to worry about the seller skipping. Check with your company if you are unsure.

(2) Check out the seller (as you are doing here!).

(3) No matter how glowing the recommendations, READ THE SELLER'S RETURN POLICY CAREFULLY! New Egg is generally pretty good (I've made many purchases from them.) but they do not accept returns on laptops, for example. Some companies charge high restocking fees, to name another thing to be on the lookout for.

Once you start shopping on line, there's no going back! Whatever you want, it's all there!
  7. tgreaves

tgreaves TS Rookie Posts: 40

I've bought about $10K worth of stuff from newegg and never had a problem..
  8. magichater

magichater TS Rookie

I also bought loads of components from them and the shipping is excellent and so is there customer service, i recommend them too without doubt good luck :)
  9. gguerra

gguerra TS Maniac Posts: 317

Newegg is great.. Even better than credit cards and what I use is paypal. As a matter of fact I prefer sites that accept paypal as you never have to give out you credit/debit card online, hell all you need is a checking account to get a paypal account.
  10. Carlosfig

Carlosfig TS Rookie

NEWEGG is my favorite place! i buy most of my hardware there. Very Reliable and great prices!
  11. Sperelakis

Sperelakis TS Rookie

I don't dispute that Newegg is good; however, a new up and comer is Better GUI, better prices in most cases, and a quick ordering process. Anyone else order from yet? Would be interested in your opinion (they do take paypal as well as google checkout which oldegg doesn't).
  12. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

It seems clear to me you are from and are advertising them. I checked your site. Maybe it's just me but I didn't find the GUI better. Perhaps it's a judgment call but you only feature one view of each product. It's hard to evaluate certain products like PC cases when all you can see is the front outside view. Your product drill down seemed limited to me.

I checked your selection and was somewhat disappointed. A lot of low end and middle stuff but limited on the high end. I could not find any socket 1366 motherboards or i7 processors or AMD Phenoms (1st or 2nd generation). Across the board the handful of prices I checked were higher than Newegg except for a hard drive which was the same price. I admit I didn't check most of the prices but the trend of those I did check did not encourage me to take the time.

It's not a horrible site, just not that great but you asked for opinions.
  13. Sperelakis

Sperelakis TS Rookie

I did ask for opinions and that is good feedback on the product views, i7's, and phenoms for Some of the products have multiple views but overall most don't. Let me know what else you see if you navigate back to

You have to admit though Newegg selling cookware, toys, and patio furniture now is way off message and off putting. Next will be lady's feminine hygene products:)
  14. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

So you then are saying you are advertising for them? I checked it out and I will tell you where NewEgg's site is superb: Home page with easily navigatible lists right there in front of you so that you don't have to search all over the place. They are categorized quite well. Ebyte has a lot to be desired in this area.

Okay, I'm done and I'll move along.
  15. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

newegg is very reputable. I have bought things from them before. Fast turnaround. Most deliveries in 3 days via FEDEX.
  16. Row1

Row1 TS Guru Posts: 326   +13

Absolutely no probs with Newegg over the past several years. I am not going elsewhere until Newegg does what all companies eventually do: change what is working well.

Newegg sells toasters? Good - now I have a place I trust to go shopping for kitchen appliances. I wish they sold cars, houses, whatever.
  17. nazartp

nazartp TS Enthusiast Posts: 178   +12

Great site. I'm spending $2-3k a year on their web-site. Added perk - they have a warehouse in my state. So if I order in the morning I have my stuff the next day even with UPS ground delivery.

I was always wondering if their predecessor was the I used to like those guys, but they went under around 2000-2001 recession and couple of years later I discovered Newegg. For a long time TigerDirect and Newegg were quite similar in prices, but Newegg clearly beats Tigerdirect in term of web-site design and search features.
  18. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Not to mention Neweggs customer service is top compared to TD *bleh*
  19. hassankhalid024

hassankhalid024 TS Rookie

its perfectly fine!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.