Newer computer will not boot

ajross

Hello all,

I bought a desktop computer (barebones kit off of tigerdirect.com) and built it myself as a Christmas present for my girlfriend. (Christmas 2011) I installed everything just fine, and it seemed to me running perfectly with no errors or problems. I installed a few different applications such as iTunes, Windows Live Instant Messenger, and a program offered by tigerdirect.com called "PC-Tune Up" by CA Technologies from a disc. However, this is all it was used for; we didn't have any data or other files installed or imported.

As I said, the computer worked perfectly normal. My girlfriend had shut it down for a period of time, (about 2 months) and tried using it the other day. Unfortunately, she said it wouldn't boot. I came over to look at it, and sure enough, it wouldn't boot up.

The computer will turn on like normal, beep once, and sit with a black screen. I checked the light on the outside of the tower to find it the color orange. One of the times I turned it on I got some picture on the screen, but I didn't see after that.

I know that it is not a monitor problem, (I tested that myself) so it would have to be a hardware problem? I opened the case and made sure there was no dust, and all fans work normally.

Suggestions?

The computer is a 4Gig, 1TB, Win 7, Radeon xxxx desktop barebones kit.
Like I said, we didn't use it at all, so I'm certain it is hardware.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that.
I am beginning to wonder if it is the video card... I read in my hardware book that if it passes the POST test, it would be the video. Which would make sense, given that the computer turns on, passes POST (I know that it gets to post because the keyboard lights are on, and I can press CTL, ALT, DEL and I see them flash) but I'm not set on that.
I will look into the power supply, though. Thank you, Tmagic650.

Do you have another graphics card to test with or can you test this graphics card in another PC?

Back