Newer video card but slower gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fayt

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 that came with an integrated video card of 128 so I bought an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 256mb pci video card. I installed it and for some reason games play slower. I upgraded the power supply unit from 250w to a 400w and it helped with some lagging but game play seems to be worse. I tried rolling back the driver for the video card but that hasnt helped. What do you guys think I should do? Once again any insight is greatly appreciated. I thank all of you for your help.

FX5200 is a pretty gutless video card. It's the modern day equivalent of a GeForce2 MX with DX9 support. you should save up some money and get at least a Geforce 6600, I'd go even higher if you want to play modern games. I'm not sure what the ATI equivalent would be. PCI video cards are also pretty slow, that's gonna be a big bottleneck; if you don't ahve an AGP slot, just start saving for a new PC.

the fx5200 was a low-end cheapass card right from the start. you have an oem build, so you'd be best off using the integrated videocard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back