TechSpot

Newly assembled PC refuses to install XP Pro...

By chymes
Dec 29, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all, I recently built a new PC consisting of an Asus A7N8X-E mobo and an AMD 2600 CPU, 512mb ram, a radeon 9600 vid card and a HDD i had lying around. I started to onstall XP Pro but got about 30% through the file copying process and got an NTFS problem. I tried a FAT32 partition but got the same problem. Any suggestions? :confused:
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

fill in your "User Profile", top left an any page.
    Also, what size is the HD and what size the partition(s)?
  3. chymes

chymes TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hdd is a puny 8GB, partition was/is 1500mb.
  4. chymes

It would seem my XP pro disk is damaged. Bought XP home and it seems to be installing ok. It's very slow however, it's taken 1 hr to get to 35%. Is this normal?
  5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Better stop that install. XP needs a minimum of 1,5gb to start with, without any frills.
    Let XP (from the boot-CD) delete all the current partitions, then make 1 partition only, using up all the space available and format it in NTFS.
    Then do the install again.
  6. chymes

Hi again, I bought a new HDD, did all the right things and WinXp will still not install. I swapped Hdd's with this rig. Windows booted but on completion the system reboots continually. I noticed in the users guide that Sata is enabled as default, as I am not using a Sata HDD should this therefore be disabled? Guess I'll disable it and try yet again.
    *edit- same thing, Man this is killing me....
    Blue screen reads as follows-Irql not less or equal.
    STOP: 0x0000000a (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x807c860e)
  7. chymes

Issue resloved. Seems these boards onlly like kingston RAM.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.