Newly build (5 days old) computer boots 2secs and shuts down

By Lee1221
Feb 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, I am new so plz forgive for errors. I just build a new computer and it boots ups and shuts down in 2 secs. I tried leaving it unplug and check the CPU and the power connections. The ram is good. The video card is good and the only thing left is the HDD, disc drive, and power supply unit. Can you plz help...

Mobo gigabyte ga-p67-ud3p
    CPU i5 2500k 2nd gen
    Video card gigabyte hd 4550
    Hard drive western digital 1tb sata3
    Psu thermaltake tr2 rx 850w
    Cd drive hp dvd1260
    Os windows 7
  2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,889

What OS have you installed?

Is the hard drive SATA or IDE.
  3. Lee1221

Lee1221 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sata3 and windows 7
  4. Mark56

Is it reaching the POST screen, can you get into safe mode?

What happened when you installed the OS did it run OK for a while or has it crashed from the first boot after installation?

Are you using a genuine retail OS disc?

Did you install the mobo drivers?

How do you know that the RAM and Video card are both OK?

What Ram have you got?

If you have more than one RAM stick try starting with just one installed and then swap to another.
  5. Lee1221

No. Ran for five days. Yes. Yes. I tried them in another computer. Crucial 4gb ddr3-1333 (pc3 10600) x2. All ready tried that
  6. Mark56

There are a few things that could have gone wrong here but it will take a little time and patience to figure it out, follow this guide below and see how things turn out.

7. orondf

orondf TS Booster Posts: 87

I had this problem with my new build (a similar build), and the problem was caused by a SATA cable which wasn't properly connected because it was at the wrong angle.
    The problem only occurred when the HDD was set to "AHCI" in the BIOS.
  8. Lee1221

I have found out that it is the CPU or mobo
  9. Mark56

Well done Lee, I presume as this is a new build those parts will be under guarantee so hopefully you can send them both back for replacement.