Newly built computer refuses to Boot; I think I killed it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

FallenOne

Hello All,
I would be greatful for any advice you can offer; here are the specs on the new computer I just put together:

ASARock 939Dual-SATA2 MB
AMD Athlon64 3500+ CPU
WesterDigital 7200 WD800JD 80Gb HDD
Aspire ATX-AS520W PSU
NEC ND-3550A Drive
1Gig Corsair DDR-400 Ram

I got WinXp on there, was installing some software, and weird things kept happening. I kept getting error reports, of the variety that says that the program must be shut down and asks if I want to send an error report to the vendor. This was happening a lot, especially with installation programs that worked on my other computer just days before.
Also, I kept getting the Blue Screen of Death telling me that I may have a software or hardware problem, after which the computer would simply reboot, or lock up completely.

At this point, the computer has ceased to function entirely. It refuses to boot and I get no POST beep, and I can't enter the BIOS. All the hardware appears to be working and my cooling fans are all functioning, so I don't think this is an overheat, though who knows. I've checked all the connections and they are fine. I just want to know what could have caused me to go from running smoothly on day 1 to dead on day 3.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.

It can be a faulty PSU. Aspire PSUs are known as 'bad' PSUs. What Video ard do you have. If it's a 6600GT and above, there's a good chance that your Aspire PSU is causing the problems. Maybe it was too weak and now it just died completely.

My suggestion, try replacing the PSU first, before jumping to conclusions.

GOOD LUCK and please update us.

Yeap... PSU Failure Rocks as the first PC problems... so check it first.

But... i dont think a faulty PSU gives a Blue Screen of Death?

Btw... i just got one of those last night... it was a memory dump... :S im gonna reseat the memory module...

before jumping conclusions - which jumper setting?

zachig said:
My suggestion, try replacing the PSU first, before jumping to conclusions.

I always am wondering:
before jumping conclusions - which jumper setting do I use to jump to conclusions? --just kidding around ;)

you probably already did this but just as a reminder....recheck all connections and RAM slots :) good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back