Newly built custom pc wont start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallabing

Yeah I built my new PC 4 hours ago and now it wont power up at all, but the case fans spin.

It's a

Athlon 64 3700 socket 939
MSI socket 939 motherboard
Hitachi deskstar 120GB IDE
1GB (2 X 512) PC3200 Patriot DDR in dual channel configuration
XFX Geforce 6800XT 256MB PCI express 16
Antec truepower 520 watt psu

Could it possibly be bad memory or cpu? Or the entire motherboard?

It's not the psu because it works in my other Celeron D system.

Did you use the standoffs to install the motherboard, or did you install your motherboard directly onto your case?

Do you get any beeps?

Any LED lights on the motherboard?

I suppose it would be best to go back to the basics for troubleshooting then.

Remove the motherboard from the case and sit it on a box beside the case. Remove everything but the following:

1. Cpu/heatsink
2. One stick of ram
3. Graphics card (with power supply connected to it)
4. Psu connections (should be two of them) to the motherboard
5. Case's speaker connection

Use a screwdriver and quickly touch both pins that are normally connected to the case's power on switch. This will short the pins and attempt to turn on your system.

Does your board have LED lights on it? If so, when you connect the PSU to the board it should turn the LED lights on (even before you try and power up the system). If your board has LED lights, and they are not lighting up, then you have a dead motherboard (since you have already tested the PSU in another system).

What model is your motherboard?

Another possibility is that your motherboard is not liking that 3700+ cpu. It is not officially supported by your motherboard (and many other boards as well as the 3700+ is a special processor).

Now, just because it is not officially supported does not mean it won't work, but it does make it a pretty high suspect.

Do you have another socket 939 CPU you can test in there? (I know most people don't happen to have extra cpus lying around... maybe borrow a friends?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back