Newly installed GeForce GT 610 Problem

Hi everyone,

I've been having a little problem and hopefully someone from the community might be able to help. I own a really basic computer that I've had for years, I don't use it for gaming or anything like that. Mainly sufing the web, really basic none labour intensive tasks.

Anyway, I started getting random BSOD problems and the code that came with the shutdown pointed to it being a driver problem. I was using a fairly old driver anyway as I'd have previous problems with BSOD's with the updated versions. After numerous uninstalls and reinstalls of different drivers the problem wasn't going away. Until after one BSOD and restart the screen was completely filled with either green or pink pixels (depending on the background colour). After a little research I came to the conclusion that the graphics card was on it's way out. I should say at this point that the old graphics car was a GeForce 8300 GS.

So not wanting to have to upgrade anything but the gpu and also not wanting to spend a great deal of money that really dont have at the moment I started searching for a replacement card for my system. I finally settled on a GeForce GT 610, as it sounded simpler to replace Nvidia for Nvidia in this case and was pretty basic.

After researching and installng the new gpu I started up the computer to see wether I'd still have the pixel problem or not. Low and behold they had gone and I thought my troubles were behind me, hahaha how wrong I was... Without any of the Nvidia driver installed (uninstalled in control panel and DriveSweeper used) running on the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" I had no problems at all and my cpu usage when idle was fine. I then updated the drivers to the latest version (and numerous other versions throughout the day) and started getting a problem. When the computer attempted to do any task, no matter how basic it would stutter. The loading icon next to the mouse stopping, starting and freeze continuously which it had never really done before. I opened up tast manager to check what was going on and in the 'performance' tab the cpu usage was at 50% in an idle state. After checking processes for all users I couldn't see anything that seemed to be causing the cpu usage to be that high. There were numerous "svchost.exe" open but only as many as there were without the drivers installed, and they weren't using any more memory than normal either. Running HWMonitor showed all my voltages and temperatures to be fine (I've also checked my voltages with a voltage testing machine and they cam back fine). Every time I uninstall the driver and use the standard vga its fine, then as soon as the driver is install I'm getting the lagging and high cpu usage problem.

So does anyone think they could possibly shed some light on what might be going wrong? Could it be a clash in the hardware? But obviously I'm so far away from being an expert it's not funny, haha.

Any help would be appreciated and sorry for such a long winded essay. Congrats if you managed to read it to the end.

System specs:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E4500
Motherboard - GigaByte GA-T671MG
Old GPU - GeForce 8300 GS
New GPU - GeForce GT 610
PSU - XFX Pro 450W
RAM - 2GB DDR2
Storage - Seagate Barracuda 400GB ST3400820AS

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 2
Try this:
1) Download, do not install, the latest nVidia driver from here (32bit).
2) Create a system restore point before proceeding. Use these directions for assistance.
3) Download and run Display Driver Uninstaller from here.
4) Check the boxes that state "Remove PhysX" and "Remove C:\AMD or C:\NVIDIA folders" and "Save log files in startup path".
5) Chose the option "Uninstall the current and previous drivers and restart the computer".
6) Let the computer reboot/restart.
7) Install the driver you downloaded in step 1.

If this does not work, there is an issue with the GPU. You will need to RMA it and get a new one. Tell the manufacturer that you are having issues. They will usually comply and send a new one.

Try this:
1) Download, do not install, the latest nVidia driver from here (32bit).
2) Create a system restore point before proceeding. Use these directions for assistance.
3) Download and run Display Driver Uninstaller from here.
4) Check the boxes that state "Remove PhysX" and "Remove C:\AMD or C:\NVIDIA folders" and "Save log files in startup path".
5) Chose the option "Uninstall the current and previous drivers and restart the computer".
6) Let the computer reboot/restart.
7) Install the driver you downloaded in step 1.

If this does not work, there is an issue with the GPU. You will need to RMA it and get a new one. Tell the manufacturer that you are having issues. They will usually comply and send a new one.

Thanks for your reply JC713, I followed your directions exactly and unfortunately my cpu is still stuck at 50% when idle. I guess I need to send it back then. Sorry if this is a dumb question but should I contact the online site that I bought it from, or go to evga directly as they're the manufacturer? Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply JC713, I followed your directions exactly and unfortunately my cpu is still stuck at 50% when idle. I guess I need to send it back then. Sorry if this is a dumb question but should I contact the online site that I bought it from, or go to evga directly as they're the manufacturer? Thanks again.

No problem whatsoever! It is a valid question. Try the site first and then go to EVGA after that if you experience issues with the site you purchased it from.

The CPU usage may be due to the programs you have open. Can you take a screenshot of the task manager with the "Memory Usage" tab pressed so that the highest usage program is first?

No problem whatsoever! It is a valid question. Try the site first and then go to EVGA after that if you experience issues with the site you purchased it from.

The CPU usage may be due to the programs you have open. Can you take a screenshot of the task manager with the "Memory Usage" tab pressed so that the highest usage program is first?
Is this what you mean? I couldn't see a tab labelled exactly "memory usage".

Attachments

• 00044.jpg
    00044.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 4
Yes, that is what I want. So it seems that you may possibly have a virus or some sort of Malware in the background eating up resources. The low memory usage and high CPU usage usually eludes to a virus. Download Malwarebytes anti malware and run a full scan and post the log here. If it comes up clean, then you will just have to deal with the high CPU usage unfortunately :(.

The directions I provided were aimed at fixing the BSODs on the GPU end, not really the CPU usage :).

The directions I provided were aimed at fixing the BSODs on the GPU end, not really the CPU usage :).

I do have MalwareBytes already installed and scanned almost as soon as this problem occured but I'll try again. It just seems strange the cpu usage only occurs when the drivers are installed and as soon as they're not the usage is normal again. As far as fixing the BSOD's I haven't had one since changing the gpu actually so I do think that the gpu was the problem as far as they were concerned. I think this is a brand new problem not necessarily related to the BSOD's. Thanks again for the advice.

I do have MalwareBytes already installed and scanned almost as soon as this problem occured but I'll try again. It just seems strange the cpu usage only occurs when the drivers are installed and as soon as they're not the usage is normal again. As far as fixing the BSOD's I haven't had one since changing the gpu actually so I do think that the gpu was the problem as far as they were concerned. I think this is a brand new problem not necessarily related to the BSOD's. Thanks again for the advice.

Well, that is because the nVidia control center is working in the background most likely. You can probably go the control panel --> add or remove programs --> find the nVidia install package --> click Change --> Uninstall the nVidia control panel. It isnt necessary if you dont game and may free up some resources.

Back