Newly installed RAM doubles itself and crashes before I can access BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've just added more RAM to a Gigabyte GA-5AX mainboard. I've put 256MB of SDRAM (PC100) in it. When I start it up, the memory check shows that I have 525MB of RAM and then it stops there on that screen and the whole thing freezes. Now I know that I've had the same type in before, but now I'm baffled. Could it be a jumper problem?

TiA,
Sidewinder.

You could try clearing your CMOS, this resets the bios back to failsafe defaults. Should be a jumper on the Motherboard for this, maybe near the battery. Make sure the power is OFF when you do it. And make sure to put the jumper back to normal before you power up. Removing the battery for 5 or 10 Minuit's will do the same thing.

Sometimes the ram in incompatible with each other. Try running with just the new ram, if you still have a problem, then that stick is bad and you need to take it back and get another one. If it works, put in your other stick as well, then test that. If that doesn't work they are incompatible with each other and you need to get a different kind.

Also, some brands of RAM are not compatible with some mobos. Which would be covered under what Poert said about a bad stick. If the new stick is at fault here, just return it and get a stick of whatever brand you are currently using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back