Newly installed usb root hub causing high cpu usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there i hope somebody can help me basically i am having a problem with a five port usb root hub i purchased for my desktop computer. I connected it to the usb slot and used the disk with it to install the drivers everything was cool.

But then I noticed high cpu usage that was slowing down my system and found in process explorer that it was hardware interuppts that were causing the massive usage, so of course i went into device manager and started disabling everything and surely enough my new root hub was the culprit.

My cpu usage shoots up to 100% when it is enabled, if i disable it the usage will drop back to 0-1% and when enabled again it strangely sits at 30% until i reboot when it goes back to 100%.

(originally i thought the problem was spyware and done a complete reboot leaving the root hub connected during the new windows installation which may have caused it to mess up?)

Sounds like a bad usb hub. I had a similar problem with a customer. he both a WD external HDD. He called me back saying his computer was running like a slug. Start checking all kinds of different things. When I disconnected the ext. HDD, * BANG* everything started running fast again. Re-connected it, comp ran like a slug.

Take the USB hob back to the store and exchange it for a new one or a different one.

-- Andy

Sounds like a bad usb hub. I had a similar problem with a customer. he both a WD external HDD. He called me back saying his computer was running like a slug. Start checking all kinds of different things. When I disconnected the ext. HDD, * BANG* everything started running fast again. Re-connected it, comp ran like a slug.

Take the USB hob back to the store and exchange it for a new one or a different one.

-- Andy

Thanks Andy for your reply unfortunately i bought it from play.com through play trade so i cannot return it. It was significantly cheap though (£5) so i am not too annoyed if anyone thinks there is something i can do to fix it please post until then its disabled :rolleyes:

The way it works now with comptuer accessories, in most cases they are cheap enough you just throw it out and buy another one. before you do that, can you borrow a friend's or neighbour's USB hub and see if that one works? If so, then you bought a dud.

-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back