Next Assassin's Creed game allegedly set in Egypt, not coming until 2017

Scorpus

Staff member

In what is actually a genuine surprise, Ubisoft is not preparing to release a new addition to the main Assassin's Creed game franchise this year. Instead, the game developer will wait until 2017 to unleash the successor to Assassin's Creed Syndicate, if a report from Kotaku is to be believed.

The report is light on details, as you'd expect considering the game is more than a year away from launch. However it does reveal that the game is codenamed 'Empire', and will be set in ancient Egypt, perhaps as the first game in a series that will explore other ancient lands.

The decision to not release an Assassin's Creed game in 2016 reportedly came after 2014's Unity failed to live up to expectations and launched with a huge collection of technical issues. By not releasing Empire until 2017, this year would be the first since 2008 to not feature a main Assassin's Creed release, and it could be the start of a new biennial release schedule.

There will still be a small handful of Assassin's Creed releases this year, though. Ubisoft is launching two '2.5D' sidescrolling games in the coming months: the first, set in 19th century India, will launch on January 12th; and the second, set in early 20th century Russia, will come out on February 9th. Both games will be available on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 for $10 each.

Later this year, on December 21, 2016 to be precise, the Assassin's Creed movie starring Michael Fassbender will hit cinemas. There are also rumors of an Assassin's Creed game collection that could come out during the holiday period.

Permalink to story.

Hey that was my idea made a post about it on their forums.
would be so nice to walk around ancient Egypt seeing the pyramids playing some awesome missions around them inside them.

walking around the streets riding camels haha. having cool looking Egyptian characters maybe even pharaoh himself and all those egyptian gods will fit in nicely to the overall assassins story with tempers aliens and what not. awesome setting for an assassins game!

Are people still playing this game?

I remember playing the first one, like 10 years ago, was not impressed, figured it would never get a franchise, damn was I wrong. Yet I still have no interest in playing this game, primarily because I got F'ed over by Ubisoft as a game tester on more than one occasion, since then I have not purchased a single game Ubisoft is involved in.

I was contracted to be a tester for a week, showed up late on the Thursday, no body said nothing to me, find out at the end of the day that it had voided my contract and they would not be paying me for any of my time. So please pirate Ubisoft games, they're DRM is **** anyways.

Great. Now fans can get to scamper up the great pyramids of Giza and perform an aerial assassination on some unsuspecting chump of a Templar pharaoh.
Actually I was a great fan of this franchise until the release of AC3 which killed it for me. I'm playing Syndicate now (only because I got it for free), it's not too bad but the lustre has gone for me, I wouldn't pay more than 20 bucks for the game.
Maybe Ubi can resurrect the franchise with it's next release but I'm not holding my breath.

You betcha. I thought the same thing about COD but why would publishers bother with them if they weren't still cash cows?...
Yeah but COD is similar to Counter-Strike where you have competitive scene and they will play the same game for years. Assassin's Creed is single player only right?

Yeah but COD is similar to Counter-Strike where you have competitive scene and they will play the same game for years. Assassin's Creed is single player only right?
I'm only aware of the single player campaign but it could have a multiplayer mode as well. As a strictly single player only person I haven't noticed if one does exist.

They are starting to run out of ideas

Heh, 2018's AssCreed will be set in the future, or on another planet ... or in Hell. Who knows. Plenty of stuff they can still do to milk the franchise though.

I'm only aware of the single player campaign but it could have a multiplayer mode as well. As a strictly single player only person I haven't noticed if one does exist.

One introduced in brotherhood and in revalations, ac3 and ac4. Unity introduced co-op multiplayer, so the last two titles have a co-op multiplayer aspect to it.

Heh, 2018's AssCreed will be set in the future, or on another planet ... or in Hell. Who knows. Plenty of stuff they can still do to milk the franchise though.

No man, your not thinking creative enough. The next gaming is going to be microscopic. You're going to be single cell organisms!

Back