Next iPad mini expected to feature Retina Display

Jesse

ipad retina display display ipad mini retina ipad mini 2 ltps

Apple is preparing a Retina version of the iPad mini for release in the third quarter of 2013, according to DisplaySearch NPD analyst Richard Shim. This is not the first time we are hearing about a Retina-equipped mini, however Shim's claim goes further suggesting that Apple is already working on a third generation iPad mini as well, which would be slated for a first quarter 2014 release.

The upgrade for the second-gen Q3 2013 model will bring the 7.9-inch iPad mini in line with the rest of the company’s current offerings, and the third-gen model will feature the new display and an updated processor. This would be a similar product roll out to the third- and fourth-generation iPads, which were released roughly six months apart.

No information is currently available about which type of display technology Apple would use for the new mini, but Shim is speculating that the same low-temperature polysilicon (LTPS) display used in the iPhone 5 is a likely option.

As we previously reported, Apple was potentially facing delays in the manufacturing of the new iPad mini. This corresponds with what we are now hearing from Shim, as delays pertaining to the iPad mini could be related to the LTPS display technology. LTPS production yields become increasingly slim as screen size increases, and thus would be more difficult to manufacture for the iPad mini's 7.9-inch display than the iPhone 5's.

Permalink to story.

This **** is getting old about apple, releasing a version of an Ipad, and adding FEATURES that technology is capable of integrating in the first product in the second and this way making people buy the future product. This is the most blatantly discourageful marketing I have ever seen in history. Apple is the most overpriced company and abusive to its customers. Its like releasing a PS3 with capability of up to only 2 players. Then a year later releasing a PS3 with capability of connecting up to 4 controllers, making it 4 players, seriously? Is this the GREAT INNOVATION 2012 Award that apple received, because of things like this?

At the previous disgruntled post first - Apple does it in tandem with the rest of the market.

Retina word is getting old now, while Apple offers "Retina" products with PPI worse than the competition. If they don't go for higher PPI with the new iPad Mini, then it becomes hypocritical to even use the word Retina. They need to squeeze the same resolution as on 9.8" iPad into the new iPad Mini 7.9". Although I would understand if they were to make it exactly 1080P.

I have been using iPad 4 for the last 6 month now, and am quite happy about quality of the product.

The rest of the market? Who is this please enlighten me because if its android, sony, hp, toshiba.. then you are completely off

I just got done selling my Iphone 4s and bought a Sony Xperia Z. This has to be the most efficient smartphone purchase I ever did. Why did I do this? Simple. I looked at the iphone 5! Waited 1 year for it, oh what did it have that my 4s didnt have? Extra few inches screen size, same resolution, A little bit faster, my 4s never lagged, NEVER, so this wasnt a improvement either. Same Camera, and Same IOS, ? Ok ok. Lets waait for Iphone 5s! Oh wait, Rumor is its going to be a shitty updated Iphone 5 aimed at the budgeted low consumers in the smartphone market, making it a low priced Iphone 5s that is affordable to the AKA Poor.

Actually, Guest, Apple took a bunch of criticism when the mini came out because the screen wasn't 'retina' That and the iPhone 5 not being much different was the start of their stock price's decline I think.

The iPhone 5 finally had 4G, only 2.5 years after the rest of the market. This is part of the 'charm' of Apple. They only give you what you need when you need it. Now stop your complaining and go get in line.

Should've been "retina" from the beginning. But apple decided that would cut into it's already high profits too much...

My iPhone 5 has a resolution of 1136x640. How is that retina by any stretch? They should have at least made it 720P. On the other hand. I heard that the next iPad mini was not gonna get a retina display from numerous other sites.

My iPhone 5 has a resolution of 1136x640. How is that retina by any stretch?

Its only 4 inchs, the PPI is 326 which is high enough that when viewed from a normal viewing distance your eyes cannot differentiate the difference between the pixels, a higher res would just be a waste to be honest. Other phones with higher res is usually to compensate for the bigger screen, A higher PPI isn't really necessary especially on bigger screens as you naturally hold them further away from your eyes.

Its only 4 inchs, the PPI is 326 which is high enough that when viewed from a normal viewing distance your eyes cannot differentiate the difference between the pixels, a higher res would just be a waste to be honest. Other phones with higher res is usually to compensate for the bigger screen, A higher PPI isn't really necessary especially on bigger screens as you naturally hold them further away from your eyes.
Oh, I forgot about the PPI (not sarcasm)! My bad.

Here we go: mini gets same resolution as big brother. iPad gets released with a higher-res screen with Retina2. The world goes crazy. USA hands over government to Apple.

Good. I want an iPad and the mini form factor is desirable but the non-retina display puts me off. Not sure about a new model 6 months or less later but whatever. I have my iphone 5 (first iphone since a 3G and a windows phone the last 2.5 years) and I am very happy with it. Not owned an android, don't see the difference between google evil and apple evil to be honest. iPhone 5 is very cool and does everything I can think I want a phone to do right now.

Here we go: mini gets same resolution as big brother. iPad gets released with a higher-res screen with Retina2. The world goes crazy. USA hands over government to Apple.
lol. The next leap is 4K. They wont deploy that till 1) we get better batteries 2) we get faster internet (better infrastructure) to handle 4k content. Also, the new high res iPad was just released a year and a half back and forced developers to optimise their apps (also the iPhone 5), they dont want to create another frenzy for a while. But, they are gonna have to make a high resolution phone soon to compete, and thus it will bring up the need for developers to optimise their apps yet again.

^--

The problem is the fragmentation. Apple prided itself on the one resolution of iPhones and the exact double iPad. Now we have iPhone3(x1), iPhone4(x2), ipad(x4), retina iPad(x8), iPad mini(x4) and the ridiculous iPhone5(x1.2347934y5345).

If the retina mini doesn't fall nicely into these existing resolutions, developers are gonna have a bad time. (meme intended)

^--

The problem is the fragmentation. Apple prided itself on the one resolution of iPhones and the exact double iPad. Now we have iPhone3(x1), iPhone4(x2), ipad(x4), retina iPad(x8), iPad mini(x4) and the ridiculous iPhone5(x1.2347934y5345).

If the retina mini doesn't fall nicely into these existing resolutions, developers are gonna have a bad time. (meme intended)
The iPad Mini took on a 1366x768 resolution. I am guessing the new one may have a 1920x1200 or 1920x1080, or even higher. Developers are gonna have a tough time since they are gonna have to expect a new iPhone incoming to compete with Android.

This says mini has 768 x 1024. Which is the same as original iPad and why it makes so much sense. All apps worked flawlessly and it's the exact same device as an iPad from a software perspective.

Back