TechSpot

Next iPhones to have large curved displays and better touchscreen sensors, says Bloomberg

1. Apple is working on two new iPhone models with curved displays and screen sizes measuring 4.7 and 5.5 inches, respectively. Both devices will be launched in the second half of 2014 according to a Bloomberg report. The Wall Street Journal...

Read more

2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

Funny how the 'curved iphone' mockup looks different on different sites. Some are showing it as a curve like a regular telephone handset would have that would follow your face when talking. But the picture in this story makes it look inflated.

3. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Addict Posts: 251   +73

This is getting ridiculous. Androids (Samsung/LG) announces curved display with some already in prototype, and the larger screens - been there done that. Has Apple not been able to do anything innovative but copy the Android platform since Jobs departure? Makes you sick to see a company like litigious Apple copying Samsung.

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

I don't get the curved display thing. How does that make a phone "better?"

psycros likes this.
  5. EsOhCeeBFD

EsOhCeeBFD TS Rookie Posts: 19

I agree. It's becoming more and more noticeable that Jobs was really the only innovative and Creative mind at apple.

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

It differentiates itself from other phones until all phone are curved then they'll have to think up something else. Oh yes, they can also charge you an arm and a leg now and fob you off with R&D mumbo jumbo.

psycros likes this.
  7. EsOhCeeBFD

They'll start making flat face phones again. Mark my words, I'm calling it right now. And everyone will be all surprised, too. like it's never been done before.

psycros likes this.
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Old will always be new.

9. EsOhCeeBFD

"That's how dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far!"

10. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,319   +709

A slightly bigger iPhone than we've had before makes sense to a lot of people. A curved back also makes a lot of sense, esp. if it has a smooth surface that provides a little grip, but a curved screen is almost a parody of pointless "innovation". Here's some real innovation: why not an iPhone with a landscape slider keyboard? Think of all the poor Blackberry refugees who would flock to Apple, which could pretend it invented phones with keyboards.

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  11. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 285   +33

Make an iphone shape like an apple. epic

12. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 508   +45

Make a curved display that wraps the whole phone making it possible to full script and develop you own custom "cases"

13. Skidmarksdeluxe

Actually a curved screen would make sense on a smart watch but I can't see it making sense on a phone.