TechSpot

Next up for Nest Labs: A smoke detector?

By Shawn Knight
Sep 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Nest Labs is reportedly developing a smoke detector to complement the Learning Thermostat the company first unveiled in late 2011. Key details like the product’s name, when it will go on sale or how much it will cost remain unknown...

Read more

2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,708   +87

Cost like the thermostat they have it just ridiculous pricing.. I am using $53 bucks LUX TX9000TS Universal Digital Blue Amber LCD Large Touch Screen Programmable Thermostat their top of the line for my central AC/heating system here in 2012. They do now have TX9600TS larger screen some extra perks, but they do build good quality. Of course this Smart Thermostat looks neat but I need features, like when to change the air filter per hours used like 720 hrs 3 months, have 4x different temp/time changes be able to calibrate the thermostat to be more accurate with the temp, be able to much more.

Now to have a smart smoke detector it best light up a path so you can see where your going in the dark of smoke fill room. I use First Alert with mini strobe light.

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,147   +737

I assume this for when you're not home. Does it cost extra to have them notify the fire department instead?

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,057   +918

I like the work Nest is doing. Their thermostat looks awesome, I just dont really see the point of upgrading yet.

5. mctommy

mctommy TS Enthusiast Posts: 133   +16

I was potentially going to upgrade to Nest a while back but when Gen 2 came about and a lot of people reported that it was not as good as Gen 1 (with pretty bad stories with Gen 2), I ended up holding back on my purchase.

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,057   +918

Oh really, I never saw that. The Gen 2 is definitely a nice improvement, but if there are flaws like you say, that may deter people.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.