Next version of Chrome essentially runs Chrome OS inside Windows 8

By Jos
Oct 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Google has pushed out a new version of its browser onto the developer channel, and with it we’re getting an interesting glimpse at the company’s next move to bring its Chrome-based operating system to a wider audience. Essentially, launching the...

Read more
  2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TechSpot Booster Posts: 164   +38

Windows - O/S with browser...
    Chrome - browser with O/S...

... makes me think of a mobius strip.. or is it a relinked mobius with one surface and one side but a double twist.
  3. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,714   +873

I wonder how this will play out.
  4. p3ngwin

p3ngwin Newcomer, in training Posts: 18

Is someone being stupid here?

A) Chrome is the browser, a HTCML, javascript, CSS, WebGL, etc engine.

B) ChromeOS is a full Linux-based OS, with non-browser API's, drivers, etc.

whoever thinks ChromeOS is going to run "on top of Windows" is retarded.

Google have the goal of making people want to use ChromeOS, and the company is "skinning" and adding features to the Chrome *browser* as a Trojan horse...but it's NOT ChromeOS !
  5. "Google have the goal of making people want to use ChromeOS, and the company is "skinning" and adding features to the Chrome *browser* as a Trojan horse...but it's NOT ChromeOS !"

So, it looks exactly like chromeOS but it isn't an OS because it runs on an OS, you are a genious!
  6. p3ngwin

looking like an OS on the surface and functioning like an OS are entirely different things, just as I laid out in my post, which you ignored, because you wanted to make a shallow comment.

E.G. putting a Ferrari body-kit on your Volvo doesn't give you a Ferrari.

You're a genius.
  7. My point is I don't think anyone here though it is an SO and nobody though the next version of chrome would be a virtual machune software than do that and you are bragging of having a superior knowled and the worst calling people retarded.
  8. p3ngwin

I'm sorry, but that made no sense at all :(
  9. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,765   +1,427

You are correct, we didn't.
  10. p3ngwin

11. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TechSpot Booster Posts: 164   +38

Definitely a mobius with 3 half twists.

12. if it looks like a Ferrari, drives like a Ferrari but farts like a Volvo, it must still be a Ferrari, right?:p
    kidding aside, maybe google is doing a hybrid OS... maybe the old chromeOS is out and the new chromeOS is now geared towards being browser-based.
  13. Littleczr

Littleczr TechSpot Booster Posts: 368   +68

Im more exited about linux mint and steam.
  14. I would like to see a lot less Chrome. I have found it next to useless.
  15. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,765   +1,427

I wouldn't say it is useless, but it is annoying for those of us who don't want it.
  16. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,809   +702

I've noticed it in Chrome 30. I quite like it.
  17. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TechSpot Guru Posts: 673   +39

I'm assuming their going to make Chrome Browser look and feel like the OS, not actually be an "OS" to have people get use to it. It'll be kinda like AOL desktop, in a sense.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.