Nexus 5X and 6P review roundup: here's what people are saying

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google unveiled a pair of new Nexus smartphones late last month and now, the embargos have lifted on the first wave of reviews. How do they stack up against the best smartphones currently on the market? Here’s a sampling of what people are saying about the Nexus 5X and its bigger brother, the Nexus 6P.

Right out of the box, the Nexus 6P impressed ZDNet’s Matthew Miller:

The Nexus 6P itself is rather stunning. The device is encased in aeronautical-grade aluminum with beveled edges, flat glass face, subtle antenna breaks in the aluminum, a slightly raised back upper portion for the camera and antennas. When you pick it up you can immediately feel the quality and expect it to be priced at the high end of the market.

Conversely, Raymond Wong from Mashable spoke highly of the Nexus 5X:

Though not made of premium materials, the 5X's polycarbonate construction feels solid in the hand. The back cover is a matte finish, which gives it a touch more grippiness and downplays oily fingerprints. For a plastic phone, the 5X's quality is great. The pieces all meet flush together with no seams jutting out where they shouldn't be.

With its earlier Nexus devices, Google notoriously neglected certain key features such as camera quality and battery life. Those concerns are a thing of the past says Ron Amadeo from Ars Technica:

Before, buying a Nexus meant you had to deal with a bad camera or poor battery life, but the Nexus 5X and 6P are the first Android devices built with few to no compromises. The one thing you could complain about is the lack of wireless charging, but we can deal with that. The camera on a Nexus is finally good. The 12.3 MP cameras can hang with phones that are nearly twice the price of the 5X.

A slightly revised version of Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 810 SoC powers the larger Nexus 6P and although it won’t win every benchmark battle, Engadget claims its no slouch:

The results were a mixed bag compared to the rest of this year's most powerful Android phones, although the Nexus 6P generally fought them to a standstill when it came to graphics. Make no mistake, though: The Nexus 6P still feels fast. The combination of unfettered Android and high-end silicon makes for a seriously buttery experience as I leapt between lots of running apps and swiped through long web pages.

The Nexus 5X, meanwhile, is outfitted with Qualcomm’s hexa-core Snapdragon 808 chip with Adreno 418 graphics. How does that handle everyday tasks? Liliputing’s Brad Linder explains:

But here’s the thing: in terms of real-world performance, it’s very hard to tell the difference between the phones (versus the Nexus 5). Launch the same app on each phone and they’ll both take about the same amount of time to load. Reboot the phones at the same time and you’ll get to the lock screen at about the same time. In fact, sometimes, the Nexus 5X actually seems a tiny bit slower (although at other times it seems a little bit faster).

Not everyone is onboard with the cheaper Nexus 5X, however, including Drew Olanoff from TechCrunch:

I’m not going to say that the Nexus 5X is a bad phone, because it’s not. If you’re set on having its screen size and are dead-set against going bigger with the 6P, I’d suggest going after the latest Samsung Edge phone. It (the Nexus 5X) just doesn’t do it for me.

Olanoff had much better things to say about the Nexus 6P and Marshmallow in general:

If you’re a Nexus 6 owner, you might want to start filling out your Craigslist ad now. If you’re an iPhone-lover, nothing may ever change your mind. If there’s a phone to do it, it’s this one, though. It’s solid as far as design, hardware and software. The base price of the Nexus 6P is $499, going up if you choose to add more storage. It’s beyond worth it. You’ve probably never experienced a version of Android’s operating system quite like this.

Permalink to story.

I really don't get how everyone is gushing about these devices, are all these articles just adverts paid for by Google?

They are over-priced for the market, you can get better spec devices for less (typically last year's models). No sd-card, no Qi charging and a pointless finger-print reader. There is only one reason for buying these and that is the raw Android experience with very rapid updates, is that really worth the premium?

I'm not overly impressed with them simply because are too pricey over here. While the Yanks may get a good deal, I can pick up a carrier free, contractless Galaxy S6 for just a few pennies more than the 6P and is a far nicer phone, not to mention a much more sensible and manageable size. These big things don't do it for me at all but that's just me.

pointless finger-print reader.
How is a finger-print reader pointless?
From the horse's mouth:
"However, there are a couple things to keep in mind when using Nexus Imprint:
Using your fingerprint to unlock your device may be less secure than a strong password, PIN or pattern.
A physical copy of your fingerprint could be used to unlock your phone. You leave fingerprints on many things that you touch, including your phone."

So pretty much a pointless gimmick then.

From the horse's mouth:
"However, there are a couple things to keep in mind when using Nexus Imprint:
Using your fingerprint to unlock your device may be less secure than a strong password, PIN or pattern.
A physical copy of your fingerprint could be used to unlock your phone. You leave fingerprints on many things that you touch, including your phone."

So pretty much a pointless gimmick then.
What are you storing on your phone that is important enough that someone is actually going to replicate your finger print just to get into your phone?! Like seriously?

And doesn't this stand with any finger print reader?

What are you storing on your phone that is important enough that someone is actually going to replicate your finger print just to get into your phone?! Like seriously?
Don't know about you but my phone is signed into my email and many other accounts automatically and the only protection is the PIN/pattern. All that is needed is one fingerprint (probably actually left on the phone somewhere unless you are obsessive about polishing it all over every time you lock it) to gain access to pretty much everything, email accounts are often used to verify many other accounts.
And doesn't this stand with any finger print reader?
Yes, quite.

Don't know about you but my phone is signed into my email and many other accounts automatically and the only protection is the PIN/pattern. All that is needed is one fingerprint (probably actually left on the phone somewhere unless you are obsessive about polishing it all over every time you lock it) to gain access to pretty much everything, email accounts are often used to verify many other accounts.
Yes, quite.
I'm pretty certain this was covered when the iPhone first came out with a fingerprint reader and it takes days (and requires a pretty good, near perfect fingerprint) to actually pull this off. If someone's had your phone for a couple of days, you probably should have remotely locked it or disabled all your accounts by then?

Fact of the matter is this though, It really isn't useless, it's actually quite useful, makes getting into your phone quicker and only you can access it. NO SD Card and No Qi Charging I get are bad points, but a "pointless Fingerprint reader"? No, it's not pointless at all and stands as quite a useful feature for many people out there excluding the paranoid.

I'm pretty certain this was covered when the iPhone first came out with a fingerprint reader and it takes days ...
Oh, you must know better than Google then, they reckon the fingerprint is less secure than a PIN or pattern that could be cracked in an hour or two.

Oh, you must know better than Google then, they reckon the fingerprint is less secure than a PIN or pattern that could be cracked in an hour or two.
Actually I just Googled it and your right, it does take hours, I guess I should trade in the ease of unlocking my phone with a simple half second touch in fear that someone's going to spend a few hours copying my fingerprint and post rude things on my facebook...

I recently sold my Moto X Pure Edition and picked up a Nexus 5x and have no regrets. The original Nexus 5 was my favorite android device I ever used, so when I saw the 5x's announcement I was jumping for joy.

Pro -
Stock Android experience
Great size for my tiny hands
Fast charging
Rear finger print read comes in handy

Cons -

Had to order USB Type C cables
Wish it had the soft touch rubber the Nexus 5 had

Provider Con:

Tmobile hasn't enabled Band 12 for the device yet :(

Back