Nexus 7 refresh expected at I/O: upgraded SoC and display, same price

Jos

nexus soc google android tablet google io nexus 7 predictions

With Google I/O just around the corner, speculation is starting to mount about what the company might show next week in San Francisco. The next major update to Android seems like a given, but according to KGI securities analyst Mingchi Kuo, the company also plans to have new hardware to go along with it. Specifically, an updated Nexus 7 tablet packed with latest generation internals and the same $199 starting price.

The Asus-built tablet will reportedly get an updated Snapdragon S4 Pro processor from Qualcomm and a high resolution WUXGA display supporting a resolution of 1980 X 1200 pixels, up from 1280 x 800 on the current model. The device is also expected to pack an upgraded 5-megapixel rear facing camera and Texas Instruments' Qi wireless charging, which is compatible with a wide range of chargers on the market.

nexus soc google android tablet google io nexus 7 predictions

As far a physical refinements are concerned the report mentions a thinner bezel and slimmer profile at around 7.5-8.5mm. If Kuo’s predictions based on supplier checks are accurate, all this should put the Nexus 7 near or below the size and weight of Apple’s iPad Mini, with better overall specs and a markedly lower price.

What’s more, the device could ship as early as June or July in large numbers, potentially giving Google a head start to capture sales ahead of an iPad mini refresh -- which is rumored to be delayed until the fall.

Beyond the Nexus 7, Kuo says Google has Android-powered notebooks on the horizon -- which is rather curious given their efforts with Chrome OS -- as well as a new Google TV device and a smart watch. None of this are expected to be show at I/O, however, but rather in another 3-4 months.

Permalink to story.

I actually own the current Asus Nexus 7 and quite like it. Problem being, after setting it up and playing with it a bit, I found that I didn't have a use for it so it just sits around in it's box gathering dust. It does nothing my Android phone can't do but it's a hellava lot cheaper. I'll be giving it away soon.

I am actually planning on getting this, it's rumoured to have a July release date which is around my birthday, the Full HD screen has bought me, as I was debating between a tablet or a phone (which is 3 times more expensive) to put the cherry on top I should hope this includes a MicroSD slot ;)

I am actually planning on getting this, it's rumoured to have a July release date which is around my birthday, the Full HD screen has bought me, as I was debating between a tablet or a phone (which is 3 times more expensive) to put the cherry on top I should hope this includes a MicroSD slot ;)

Google don't like microSD cards so don't count on that happening.

I cannot believe NVidia did not do whatever it took to get Tegra 4 in there. Everything except under sell. Perhaps Tegra not power efficient enough. Well we will find out when everything thing is brought into the light officially.

It does and will suck when they do not finally put a micro SD slot in one of the models. But it is usually not as bad as we think because some people upgrade in a few years. When the Apps start to require gigs they will need to give more space or let us use expand :)

No mention in the specs of any kind of cable socket. Is that the reason for the wireless charging?

No mention in the specs of any kind of cable socket. Is that the reason for the wireless charging?

The Nexus 10 had wireless charging, it's reasonable to assume that this one will too, it's slowly going to become standard. In all honesty, they should have a wireless charging system, and then a wired one for super fast charging.

The Nexus 10 had wireless charging, it's reasonable to assume that this one will too, it's slowly going to become standard. In all honesty, they should have a wireless charging system, and then a wired one for super fast charging.
Well, for it to become standard, it must be included with the device. No one wants to pay for a gimmick.

Back