Nforce 2 ultra 400 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
specs: AMD athlon 2500xp, Geforce 4 4200 ti 128mb, 512 mb DDR corsair w/ platinum heatsink, Maxtor 54098H8 40GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, and a nforce 2 ultra 400 mobo. My windows XP is extremely slow on startup and I have only essential programs on startup. Opening folders, playing music, or anything is extremely slow, but once it loads once everything is ok.. I have no idea what is wrong. I've read in places that the IDE channel conflicts or something. I tried uninstalling nad reinstalling it and nothing happened =/ Any1 know what could be wrong?

clean up

have you tried to run Norton System works,
that program should be included in windows because of the multiple errors even on a new install of the operating system.
If you have it then give your system a good clean out and make sure you have no other programs running at startup.
Have you tried Adaware to extingwish rodents hiding in the backround of your system.
Since it runs after awhile I would have to say that something is running.

26%? 15hours? ur not serious? there has got to be something wrong there - my 40gb drive only takes 30mins or so

Steg

Maxtor floppy

go to Maxtor online and download the dianostic program, I'm sure it will work with a Nvidia board as I have been using Maxtor in my other systems with Nvidia boards and have used it when new to check the setup.

File Name: powermax.exe
File Download Size: 928 KB
File Version: 4.06
Revision Date: 06/02/03

Note: PowerMax v4.06 will not detect Ultra ATA hard disks connected to motherboards with embedded NVIDIA chipsets (SATA drives are supported). A new version to address this issue is currently in development and is slated for release soon. Please check the PowerMax download page periodically for updates. All versions of PowerMax prior to 4.06 are no longer supported, it is recommended that you update to version 4.06 before testing your hard disk.

It is recommended to run PowerMax on all Maxtor hard drives prior to warranty replacement.

I wonder why SATA is supported but Ultra ATA is not

Humm

Wierd, It's not like the Nvidia chipsets just came out.
Where has Maxtor been?
Try hard drive in another board,
Better yet, with prices right go for a couple Western Digital SATA Raptors 10,000 RPM and fast...
For the price of two it is comparable to a Maxtor 120GB HD but blows the Maxtors away.
Defraging is quick with these hard drives, Install windows in 30 mins.
Give Maxtor a message: You snooze you lose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back