TechSpot

Nforce 2 ultra 400 problem

By an3mia
Sep 28, 2003
  1. specs: AMD athlon 2500xp, Geforce 4 4200 ti 128mb, 512 mb DDR corsair w/ platinum heatsink, Maxtor 54098H8 40GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, and a nforce 2 ultra 400 mobo. My windows XP is extremely slow on startup and I have only essential programs on startup. Opening folders, playing music, or anything is extremely slow, but once it loads once everything is ok.. I have no idea what is wrong. I've read in places that the IDE channel conflicts or something. I tried uninstalling nad reinstalling it and nothing happened =/ Any1 know what could be wrong?

2. stilup

stilup TS Rookie Posts: 21

clean up

have you tried to run Norton System works,
    that program should be included in windows because of the multiple errors even on a new install of the operating system.
    If you have it then give your system a good clean out and make sure you have no other programs running at startup.
    Have you tried Adaware to extingwish rodents hiding in the backround of your system.
    Since it runs after awhile I would have to say that something is running.

3. an3mia

an3mia TS Rookie Topic Starter

I am reformatting it.. It's only on 26% and its been formatting for 15 hours... =/

4. Steg

Steg TS Rookie Posts: 269

26%? 15hours? ur not serious? there has got to be something wrong there - my 40gb drive only takes 30mins or so

Steg

5. stilup

Hard Drive spent

Sounds like the hard drive needs a replacement.

6. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

7. an3mia

one problem... Powermax the tool used for Maxtor (which I have) doesn't work with nvidia motherboards yet =/

8. stilup

Maxtor floppy

go to Maxtor online and download the dianostic program, I'm sure it will work with a Nvidia board as I have been using Maxtor in my other systems with Nvidia boards and have used it when new to check the setup.

9. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

I wonder why SATA is supported but Ultra ATA is not

10. stilup

Humm

Wierd, It's not like the Nvidia chipsets just came out.
    Where has Maxtor been?
    Try hard drive in another board,
    Better yet, with prices right go for a couple Western Digital SATA Raptors 10,000 RPM and fast...
    For the price of two it is comparable to a Maxtor 120GB HD but blows the Maxtors away.
    Defraging is quick with these hard drives, Install windows in 30 mins.
    Give Maxtor a message: You snooze you lose

11. an3mia

I tried a different HD and it still worked like ****. I think I just got a bad mobo from shuttle or something =/

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.