NIC driver failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

king21092

Ok, this story is long so take your time while reading. Please read it all, thanks.

I opened my network connections in XP to find that I had no local area connection even though I was clearly hard wired into the router. My internet was down and I couldn't get a connection to anything.

I installed my WRT54GL Linksys router around a week ago and ever since then I got random internet connection drops over my wired connection. It happened about once or twice a day until now, as I'm typing this. I'm currently using my laptop wirelessly as my desktop doesn't have a wireless card and is out on internet. Everytime my internet dropped I didn't think anything of it and logged off or restarted my PC and it was back up. The same thing happened today, I lost my internet, but this time I decided to open up my network connections screen to find out my local area connect was gone. I logged off expecting the same thing to work as the past week not knowing it was going to fail.

When I logged back on I still didn't have internet and proceeded to do the most basic things to check for an internet connection. My laptop was connected at this time wirelessly. Anywho, I did a system restore to the day before hoping that would help, it didn't. Next I called my ISP to see if they could help.... They couldn't. I called my Linksys router support number next and they verified everything was working with my laptop and my wireless, even my wired was fine. So we did some more snooping to find that my NIC wasn't picking up signals from any device connected to it.

I have tried to use my original Gigabyte CD with the drivers and stuff on it, but when I do everything lags out and stops responding. All I know is that ever since my local area connection has been down my computer has been acting funky. I have done a full scan with McAfee which found nothing and as I type this I'm doing another scan with a program called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

So, I'm stuck, my computer is acting weird (explorer.exe crashed once during this time and I had to start it back up manually) and I have no internet or no way of connecting to other devices via ethernet..

If anyone has any possible ideas please throw me a line on here so I can try it.
Anyway thanks for reading, need help badly.

-King

Disable the onboard NIC and install a PCI wired or wireless NIC. It is not uncommon for onboard NIC to fail especially after some ISP drops and troubles

Ahh... goody! So would you think it's a total failure, as in like unfixable or can some research fix things?

I don't think that it is a driver or software issue so installing a PCI NIC would be the way to proceed

Ok, well that's what I was wondering. If it was a permanent failure, but now that I know I'll proceed to get a NIC card. Sadly I may have to remove my PCI slot 2 70mm GPU heatsink cooler, but maybe not. Hopefully it gets enough airflow in that it is still being positive as far as cooling goes.

Anyway, once again, I say thanks for the help and I'm on my way. :)

Techspot is the best! All my problems have always been answered.

have you verified your driver installs?

right-click My Computer->Manage
click on Device Mgr
on the right side, expand [+] Network adapters​
what names show-up and are there any yellow or red flags?

Well, as I said before ever since that stuff has been happening my stuff laggs out. So atm I'm stuck at (Not Responding). I don't know what's causing this lag, but hopefully it's ONLY my Malwarebyte programs.

Well, last night I was rearranging the hardware on the inside of my case. I flipped the front intake fan and the back exhaust fan into front exhaust and the read intake. I also turned around my Zalman 110mm CPU cooler to take fresh cool air from outside the case, instead of warm air from inside the case. Turns out I didn't have a screwdriver that day to finish the job so I had to leave my computer laying overnight totally disassembled on the floor. I had it unplugged overnight so everything had a good chance to lose any "left over energy."

Today, I got the screwdriver I needed and put the CPU heatsink in place. I next put the computer back together piece by piece, plugging in the wires as I go. Then I turned the computer on to do some benchmarking tests to test my new cooling setup. I noticed Xfire and MSN Messenger actually signed in, I was astonished.

Anyway, I guess my on board NIC just needed a break. But, all is good now since I have a NIC card in case my on board fails again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back