Nightmare Upgrading from XP to 7 Ult on Netbook

burnt-toast

Hi. I have 3 machines, and this Netbook is the last I am trying to change to Win 7 Ultimate' The other 2 [ 1 desktop, 1 Laptop] have been done, but they were also a pain in the arse to get done !

The netbook keep telling me that the DEVICE DRIVERS FOR THE CD/DVD are missing....but, of course, there isn't a DVD drive on a netbook. I'm trying to install from a USB, with the files copied over from a DVD, that was created from an iso from Windows' Digitalrivercontent site. x17-59463.iso.
I've read various posts on similar topics, but none of the answers are working for me.

So if anyone knows anything about this, or can suggest a way around the problem, I would be very grateful. More than 'very' !!

Have you checked with the netbook manufacturer website to see if it actually does support Win 7 and has the drivers available for download ? Those drivers should be downloaded and available to install. The 'built-in' drivers on the existing install might work and you can install the proper drivers later, or the install might (probably will) fail with no video, BSOD or similar.

In that case, you need to include the drivers in the Win 7 install package first. There are ways to do this, such as http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...ld-a-slipstream-windows-7-install-disc-715117

Actually, on second thoughts, you might first have to overcome the problem that your netbook is not willing to read the Win 7 install from a USB.....

Last edited:
I haven't specifically checked that, because at the time of purchase I was offered either XP or WIN7, so I assumed it would support both.

The netbook is a crappy Emachines one, which I think was made by Acer, but I have an idea is now owned by Gateway. Either way, I suspect getting Support help could be a pain !

But I will check it, and thanks for your reply.

Netbooks are pretty underpowered largely down to Microsoft's undue influence at the time of their introduction. I have a second hand Samsung which I upgraded by doubling the ram and installing an SSD drive. I then installed Windows 8.1 in place of Windows 7 Starter. Upgrading the OS was a pain and although I read that my netbook was incompatible with Windows 8 I did eventually get it done. Windows 7 Starter was intended for netbooks because it is less demanding than a full blown version. It would be more appropriate than the version you are trying to use.

Hi Bazz2004. Thanks for that. Part of the problem is now that I have purchased the Win 7 Ult, specifically to keep it in line with my other machines. I do have an used SSD drive, so may try that if I still can't get it going. But at the moment, the problem seems to be that I can't even begin to do the install, because of the error message that comes up re missing CD/DVD drivers, which is a bit odd as there aren't any DVD units on a netbook. But I suppose the message is generic.
The old XP is still on the machine, so I did go online anyway in an attempt to install Motherboard and USB Win 7 Drivers, but all the so called FREE driver programs do a SCAN, and then the about 2 drivers are free, and about 30 more you have to join and pay for !!

But I'm getting used to this 'Free' stuff con now, so it's not unexpected.

The BIOS says that you can boot from the USB port, but whether that means INSTALL or not, I don't know. I could buy a USB DVD Drive and try that, although whether it would be any more successful than a Flash Drive, I have no idea. Probably just more money down the drain !!

Boot from USB - yes, you absolutely need that to perform an install from it. The message you are getting re the CD/DVD driver - could that be because you have not changed the drive boot order to put the USB at the top? Sometimes there is more to do as well - I have seen some weird and wonderful bios settings required to enable a boot device, but that was for a CD drive.

If you are happy that the boot order is correct, then it could be down to a format problem of the USB. You say you copied a DVD formatted install package onto the USB drive. The bios might be confused that the USB has the appearance of a DVD, and you may need to use a more natural .iso image. One way to test the boot from USB problem could be to download and write a small 'portable Linux' package, such as puppy linux and ensure the whole boot-and-run process works as expected from your flash drive.

Last edited:
I have put the usb port to the top of the boot list, and that starts OK, but doesn't get too far. I'm trying to get some specific Win 7 drivers for the MB, and the USB, in case that helps, but that's proving difficult too !!
Good idea to try the Linux Dwnld and Install, and see what happens.
Will do that soon.
Re the Win 7 ULT, I downloaded the ISO from the MSFT Digitalrivercontent site, used an ISO-Burner to get it onto DVD, and then copied all onto the newly Formatted USB, following the Techspot Procedure I read somewhere.

Seems like years ago !! But yesterday !

There's a free Microsoft Windows 7 usb DVD download tool to allow you to use a Windows ISO and usb stick. External usb DVD drives are surprisingly cheap but I couldn't see me making much use of one and made an ISO instead. As gbhall says you need to have usb at the top of your list of boot devices in the BIOS when you are ready to install Windows. I got a bit carried away with the project and although my netbook must be pretty impressive compared to most you're never going to fully compensate for the poor hardware spec.

Hi Bazz. I'll have a look at that. I agree about the USB DVD. I would have virtually no use for it after the install, even assuming that did the trick !
All my main stuff is on my other machines. I really only use the netbook for time away on the road. Handy for checking emails, and the odd web-lookup. That's about it.
I suppose I treat like a tablet with a KB attached ! Very portable.

I suppose I could manage without it very easily really. But having bought the OS, I'll be pissed off if I can't get it going ! Will probably put in far more effort than it's worth, but that's me ! And you, by the sound of it ! Probably a lot of us. Don't like to let the buggers beat us !

Well I was reluctant to buy an iPad and thought the netbook looked an ideal stop gap until something better arrived from Microsoft. I got that totally wrong and when the next iPad comes out, probably in the Autumn, I'll be joining the Apple brigade. You could get something back on the OS by selling it on eBay. Best of luck.

If you have an *iso image backup of the old xp partition, then try to do a clean installation instead of an upgrade installation.

upgrade installation = upgrade to windows 7 is made from windows xp (windows.old folder contains windows xp leftover)

clean installation = old windows xp is deleted, hdd is reformatted, fresh installation of windows 7 done (no windows xp leftover)

Back