Nike's self-lacing HyperAdapt 1.0 sneakers go on sale this November

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Movie buffs, sneaker aficionados and technology enthusiasts around the globe have dreamed of the day when they'd have the opportunity to own a pair of Nike “Air Mag” shoes like those depicted in 1989’s Back to the Future II.

That dream became a reality in 2011 when Nike released a limited quantity of just 1,500 pairs that went up for auction on eBay (plus 10 additional pairs that were auctioned off exclusively by Nike). Critically, the replicas didn’t come with the one feature that pretty much everyone wanted – power laces.

The idea of self-lacing shoes persisted and in just a couple of months, Nike will finally deliver.

First unveiled in March, the Nike HyperAdapt 1.0 don’t resemble the original Air Mag seen in the movie but they do feature self-lacing technology.

As Nike senior innovator Tiffany Beers explains, when you step into the shoe, a sensor in the heel will activate the lace engine which tightens the sneaker around the foot until it senses a certain tension level. Buttons on the side can further adjust the tension for the perfect fit.

The battery used to power the lace engine should last on average about two weeks. Lights built into the shoe let you know when it’s time to recharge via magnetic charging pucks. A full charge takes around three hours to complete.

The Nike HyperAdapt 1.0 shoes go on sale November 28. Pricing hasn’t been revealed although most assume they won’t come cheap. You’ll even need to set up an appointment to come into a Nike retail store to “experience” and purchase them.

Permalink to story.

These are trainers, for exercising. Why the hell would anybody buy these for their intended purpose if they're too lazy to tie their laces? What next? Automated cutlery...

Lol, now you have got to recharge your shoes. Like smartband/smartwatch was not enough already.

OK.
But why does it look like the shoes my grandfather wears?

Does your grandfather look like this?

Doc-Brown.jpg

Man, they could ditch the leds and add kinetic energy recovery instead. That would definitely last longer.

Dude : " I can't make to work till 11 boss I'm charging my my shoes !

Boss: Well then when you get here you're last check will be at the front desk, hope you like like the shoes .

I want self zipping up zippers. That's so embarrassing when you forget to zip it up, then you hear some girls chuckle as you walk by.

Back