Nintendo discontinues the NES Classic Edition, ensuring you'll never get one

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nintendo on Thursday confirmed that it is discontinuing the NES Classic Edition just six months after launch. What makes the decision so incredibly baffling isn’t just Nintendo’s mismanagement of inventory but the fact that demand remains sky high.

A representative for Nintendo told IGN that throughout April, [retailers in] North America will receive the last shipments of the NES Classic Edition "for this year" (a clue?). The rep acknowledged (and apologized for) the difficultly that many consumers have had in finding a system, suggesting that anyone interested in the system get with retail outlets regarding availability.

The NES Classic Controller is also being discontinued.

Nintendo added that the NES Classic Edition wasn’t intended to be an ongoing, long-term product but due to high demand, they did add extra shipments to the original plans.

While I get the whole “limited edition” approach, I don’t have to agree with it (and you shouldn't either).

Common sense dictates that when you have a surprise product that’s in extreme demand and virtually impossible to find on store shelves, you don’t randomly discontinue it. Seriously, why forfeit the income and (further) piss off your fanbase?

It looks as though your best bet for securing the NES Classic Edition moving forward will be through a third-party source like eBay where pricing has gone through the roof (even further). If you're lucky enough to already have a system, congratulations on owning a future collector's item.

There are, of course, other ways to get some hands-on time with your favorite NES games for a fraction of the price. Multiple online tutorials exist that'll walk you through the process of building a Raspberry Pi-based retro gaming emulator or if you'd rather stick to the straight and narrow, you can pick up an original Nintendo and several classic game cartridges for less than $100 on eBay.

Permalink to story.

I've come to the conclusion that Nintendo just hates their fans and apparently money too. As someone that grew up with an NES controller in my hand, I've now reached the point with Nintendo that I will no longer give them any of my money.

The straw that broke the camel's back? I bought a gold Zelda 3DS a couple years ago. Recently, I heard SNES games were now on the marketplace. I dust off my 3DS, go to purchase Super Metroid, a game I adore - and it says "Only available for the New Nintendo 3DS". Seriously? They expect me to purchase another 3DS to play a 20 year old game.

Furthermore, their "excuse" is that the 3DS doesn't have a proper CPU or some kind of ridiculous bullshit. They honestly think their fans are morons (and you can't blame them, as it seems people are willing to re-buy the same games from them over and over again).

TLDR: Nintendo would rather try to force me to buy a new 3DS than allow me to purchase a $12 game on my 3 year old 3DS.

Awwwww poop! Now I'll never get those 200 units I ordered for all my friends and neighbors. Another good stollen credit card shot to heck!

What if demand was so high that they decide to release a better one with more games on it? Imagine getting into the set-top box market.

I don't think we've heard the last of the classic from Nintendo.

I've been trying for days to get from amazon and walmart. Now they are discontinued, way to go Nintendo!!! People even waited at 4am to line up for this, Nintendo is amazing to discontinue it.

Considering the lack of Switch units available, to me, it seems like the system has already run out of steam. No one talks about it. I don't see ads for it. I think their increase interest by limiting supply routine has backfired. Goodbye Nintendo. I look forward to playing your games on my PC in the near future.

Done with them for sure now. I'm definitely not buying the Switch now either.
C'mon man, don't be chicken. Switch to the Switch, Maybe you'll be pleased you made the Switch, until they decide Switch that off too. In which case, that would be a big Switch off for you. ;)

Let's not be so harsh. I expected this when the systems became impossible to buy and people started selling them for 3x the asking price, and getting it too. Nintendo realizes that instead of inventory hogs making all the money, they should. I expect another version, maybe a snes/nes combo system with 100 games selling for $200. The market has proven it will pay that for just the NES classic. Nintendo knows it can't just raise the NES classic price that much without upsetting everyone. While people are upset about this move, they aren't as upset as if nintendo bumped the NES classic price up to $150.

Considering the lack of Switch units available, to me, it seems like the system has already run out of steam. No one talks about it. I don't see ads for it. I think their increase interest by limiting supply routine has backfired. Goodbye Nintendo. I look forward to playing your games on my PC in the near future.
I honestly cant tell if serious. do some quick google searching.

I've come to the conclusion that Nintendo just hates their fans and apparently money too. As someone that grew up with an NES controller in my hand, I've now reached the point with Nintendo that I will no longer give them any of my money.

The straw that broke the camel's back? I bought a gold Zelda 3DS a couple years ago. Recently, I heard SNES games were now on the marketplace. I dust off my 3DS, go to purchase Super Metroid, a game I adore - and it says "Only available for the New Nintendo 3DS". Seriously? They expect me to purchase another 3DS to play a 20 year old game.

Furthermore, their "excuse" is that the 3DS doesn't have a proper CPU or some kind of ridiculous bullshit. They honestly think their fans are morons (and you can't blame them, as it seems people are willing to re-buy the same games from them over and over again).

TLDR: Nintendo would rather try to force me to buy a new 3DS than allow me to purchase a $12 game on my 3 year old 3DS.

I have many fond memories of Super Metroid. That was one of the finest games ever made. I even admit to having listened to the entirety of the soundtrack on Youtube. Geek and proud.

I'm happy with NES emulation.

Yup, aside from access to authentic looking hardware, emulation on a cheap custom built pc will definitely do. Sure beats having to dust off the old cartridge in 'storage' and blowing the dust out to try and make it work again.

Agreed with the comments re emulation... why waste your money on retro looking kit when you have the same games running on existing kit.

I have all my emulated goodness running on our Amazon Fire TV boxes... did purchase a SNES bluetooth controller though :)

Back