Nintendo patent reveals intriguing details regarding the NX's potential

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A patent application filed by five Nintendo employees gives us our first glimpse of what could very well be the controller for the NX console (or maybe even the console itself).

The patent depicts an elliptically-shaped controller that's made up almost entirely of what'll either be a resistive or capacitive touchscreen. Aside from a pair of thumbsticks, there doesn't appear to be any other buttons on the face. There are, however, traditional bumpers up top, a speaker and a card slot that could be instrumental in how the whole system works.

Around this time last year, rumors surface suggesting Nintendo planned to use Sharp's "free-form" LCDs to build an odd-shaped console or other product. The report referenced a device with a "donut-hole" at the center which could very well be the controller in the patent (the holes being the openings for the thumbsticks).

People familiar with the NX's development told The Wall Street Journal back in October that Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one "mobile unit" that could be used directly with the system or on its own. The card slot on the patented controller could enable players to take their games with them although in our Internet-connected world, it seems odd that Nintendo would rely on a memory card or some other physical media to enable away-from-console play but I digress.

Nintendo said in May that it will reveal details about the NX in 2016.

Permalink to story.

I hate to rain on Nintendo's parade before it even hits the street, but when it comes to a game controller, I feel that hard limits are important. Having a large touchscreen controller like this just means that my thumbs will inevitably slide outside of the programmed touch areas for control. While it's cute that there's a screen on the controller with my character on it, my hands will be blocking 2/3's of the screen. I sometimes find it frustrating when the reason I lose in a game on my smartphone was because my hands were blocking what killed me.

Having a large touchscreen controller...
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the pentagons in the second drawing are where the physical real thumbsticks will come up through the screen.

"The report referenced a device with a "donut-hole" at the center which could very well be the controller in the patent (the holes being the openings for the thumbsticks)."

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the pentagons in the second drawing are where the physical real thumbsticks will come up through the screen.

"The report referenced a device with a "donut-hole" at the center which could very well be the controller in the patent (the holes being the openings for the thumbsticks)."
I'll admit that last sentence had me a bit confused. I presumed that they're referring to the controller as the "device" and the shape of the "donut hole" as the reference to the screen itself. But reading the patent again, it does mention that those thumb sticks come up through holes in the display! So those pentagons might just be those holes. It also mentions a card slot for storage such as a game cartridge, micro SD, or SIM card. Almost makes me think it's a DS replacement. I'll try to read it more in depth later, but it's an interesting device!

No physical primary buttons? Automatic fail. Also, this:

"The card slot on the patented controller could enable players to take their games with them although in our Internet-connected world, it seems odd that Nintendo would rely on a memory card or some other physical media to enable away-from-console play but I digress."

Really? So you're NEVER away from an open wifi connection? You really want to pay AT&T or the other wireless pirates for the privilege of accessing data that can be easily and securely kept on a card? In other words, are you smoking crack?

Seriously people, I think you're being a bit harsh. The controller drawing here is an EXAMPLE. Every time Nintendo comes up with something new, people hate it 'till the other systems steal it and make something similar. Nintendo is extremely innovative, weather you support them or not. When the motion controller was released for the Wii, people hated it. Then Playstation got the "PlayStation Move" and Xbox got the Kinect... Suddenly people can't live without it.

I grew up with Ninteno and Sega and and Nintendo has been nothing but a disappointment for at least a decade now. Looks like their next generation console will be no different. I realize they have a need to innovate, but stop with the ridiculous gimmicks already! Maybe what this company needs is new leadership. Perhaps someone who isn't a dinosaur and isn't completely out of touch with the current youth generation?

It's going to be a sad day for me if Nintendo drop out of the console making market . That might happen if there next console bombs.

Stop relying on stupid gimmicks and old IP's , come up with something new and great like you used to.

Back