Nintendo proves critics wrong as Miitomo, its free social app, is downloaded 1 million times

midian182

Staff member

Back in October last year, Nintendo revealed that its upcoming smartphone game – the company’s first entry into the mobile gaming market – would actually be a “communications application that helps friends share fun personal facts and interests.”

The news wasn’t well received, to say the least; not only were fans unhappy, but Nintendo’s shares fell by almost 9 percent, and DeNA, the Japanese company who co-developed the game, saw its shares fall 15 percent.

Miitomo was finally released in Japan last Thursday after its original launch date of late last year was postponed so Nintendo could promote the app. It seems that, despite not actually being a game and featuring none of the company’s iconic characters, Miitomo has been a resounding commercial success; three days after release, it had been downloaded one million times by users on Android and iOS.

Early critic opinions of Miitomo had been mixed, but the overwhelming majority of those who purchased the application left glowing reviews on the app stores. Nintendo’s offering quickly moved to the top of Japan’s iOS charts, pushing popular messaging app Line to number two.

Miitomo is a free-to-play title inspired by the 3DS’ Tomodachi Life series. It combines social elements with mini-games and character customization, which is where the in-app purchases come in. While it’s only available in Japan right now, it will arrive in other countries, including the US, at a later date.

Nintendo will release four more smartphone titles over the next 12 months. It’s promised that these will be games, rather than social apps, and some will feature famous characters. Nintendo hasn’t said which of its iconic stars will be in these titles, but don’t be surprised to see a certain Italian plumber make an appearance.

Nintendo’s shares jumped 8.1 percent after news that Miitomo had hit the 1 million download mark. The app's success also helped DeNA's shares climb by 6.5 percent.

Permalink to story.

By a million people who were curious merely because it was made by nintendo and will delete it when they realize its a watered down version of the 3000 different forms of social media that already use?

This is what their up to?
Wheres the new Metroid? Kirby? Zelda? Mario? Star Fox? Banjo Kazooie? Mario Kart? Punch Out? Mega Man? Wave Race? Quest? Battletoads? Rush?
F*ck this hand held crap.
F*ck this Wii U HD crap.

Give me a new frickin Metroid!
(and yes I know about the new Star Fox game, Mario Kart 8, etc)

I've always had high hopes for Nintendo. I am a huge Nintendo fan as far as their games go, but their systems to me in the last 10 years (besides 3DS) have been so underwhelming. Nintendo focuses so much on innovation, that they lose their player base to the more simple things like raw system power and capability. I don't see why they can't just focus on both at the same time. That would really bring them back into the competitive market and help their company rise again. Nintendo will fall like Sega did if they continue what they have been doing the past 10 years. I was always one to buy a Nintendo system when they would come out because I loved their in house games, but honestly, I don't even consider them relevant anymore. I just can't justify buying the system for only a couple of good games.

I've always had high hopes for Nintendo. I am a huge Nintendo fan as far as their games go, but their systems to me in the last 10 years (besides 3DS) have been so underwhelming. Nintendo focuses so much on innovation, that they lose their player base to the more simple things like raw system power and capability. I don't see why they can't just focus on both at the same time. That would really bring them back into the competitive market and help their company rise again. Nintendo will fall like Sega did if they continue what they have been doing the past 10 years. I was always one to buy a Nintendo system when they would come out because I loved their in house games, but honestly, I don't even consider them relevant anymore. I just can't justify buying the system for only a couple of good games.

ghostf1re, everything about your post is just so backwards! Nintendo has a total of ZERO (0) competitors! Don't focus on innovation?? wut?

Back