Nintendo says dead pixels on the Switch are "normal" and not a defect

midian182

Staff member

If, like me, you’ve ever bought an expensive monitor or TV and found it sporting one or more dead/stuck pixels, you’ll know how the sight of those dark or light spots can make a person apoplectic with rage. Many companies will swap the product with a new one (though it often depends on how many affected pixels there are), but imagine being informed that the issue isn’t a defect, but a “normal” feature. That’s what Nintendo is telling Switch owners.

While fans are enjoying the new console/handheld hybrid, it appears that Nintendo isn’t too concerned about owners who discover their units aren’t working 100 percent correctly. “Small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect,” reads Nintendo’s support website. The big question is how many pixels does Nintendo consider “a small number?” And will it replace the unit with a new one if it goes over that amount?

Paying $300 for something that turns out to be defective, then being told the problem isn’t actually a defect, is obviously going to anger a lot of people. There are already several online forums discussing the matter, including this long Reddit post.

Many of Sony’s original PSP handhelds suffered from dead pixels, as did the Nintendo DS when it launched in the US. The Japanese firm eventually offered replacements under warranty for the latter. “We suggest that you use your system for a few weeks to determine whether this interferes with your enjoyment of game play. If, after using your system for awhile, you feel that this tiny dot is too distracting, the Nintendo DS does carry a one-year warranty,” Nintendo wrote at the time. The hope is that it will do the same again if enough Switch owners put pressure on the company. Even one "tiny dot" can be incredibly off-putting.

If you do own a Switch and find it has a pixel problem, don’t worry just yet. There’s a good chance that the retailer you purchased it from will swap it for a different model. But if they refuse, and unless you’ve got enough affected pixels to be classified as a defect, you may have to live with it.

Permalink to story.

In this day and age with LCD panels everywhere, so common and having been around for millennia, why hasn't the problem of dead or stuck pixels been eliminated yet?

“We suggest that you use your system for a few weeks to determine whether this interferes with your enjoyment of game play. If, after using your system for awhile, you feel that this tiny dot is too distracting, the Nintendo DS does carry a one-year warranty,” Nintendo wrote at the time.
Once you find one dead pixel, your eyes fixate on that one freaking spot, out of hundreds, thousands or millions, even if it is the last one in a corner, you will always notice it on black loading screens, even on light ones, it will haunt your vision for all of eternity.

It sucks that they are putting it as a "normal" thing, I expected more out of you Nintendo.

So it's normally full of dead pixels, won't be buying it then. I notice these things super easy and even one dead pixel ruins my experience completely, had a display with one dead pixel 5 or so years ago.

These companies make so much money. This really should not be acceptable. I had purchased two new monitors from ASUS. Each one had bad pixels. It's the most annoying thing ever. I kept wanting to swipe at the screen, like it was a piece of dust or something. Eventually, I got use to it, but it never really stopped bothering me. I kept them for a couple years before finally selling them, and buying only marginally better Samsung monitors.

Hey, at least I haven't had a Samsung product with a dead pixel, yet.

I guess I'm glad I got a perfect switch. I've not had any of the issues others have reported and I couldnt be happier with the purchase.

I once had at TV with one dead dark pixel in the middle of the screen. When I was watching a hockey game, it was confusing. I kept thinking that was the puck sometimes.

My Samsung TV is 4K/50" and it has zero dead pixels. This thing is 720p and 6.2" so it shouldn't be too hard to get those screens without any defective pixels.

Haven't seen one in ages but I only buy quality products.
Loosely decoded, you're saying Nintendo is s**t. I don't think it's Nintendo's fault as such, it's probably just the manufacturer and supplier of the crappy screens. Common business practice, charge as much possible, give as little as possible, it's normal. Now that you mention it, I haven't seen stuck or dead pixels for a long while myself but it used to be the norm back in the day.

I will never use it in "tablet" mode so this isn't really a concern of mine. I can see how this would be an issue, but people have to remember that this is a console and should be connected to your tv most of the time.

On top of that, if you have a need to play videogames everywhere you go then you have some social problems you need to get checked out. I remember watching the announcement trailer and the guy takes his dog for a walk and is playing his switch the whole time. What kind of a**hole ignores his pet to play videogames?

I guess I'm glad I got a perfect switch. I've not had any of the issues others have reported and I couldnt be happier with the purchase.

I got a perfect one too. With the internet and the vocality of groups being disproportionate to their size, I wonder how much of a % of the buyers actually got units with faulty screens. The affected population could be small enough for it to be a "non-issue" (at least, as far as the general populace is concerned), but with the internet being the mob-mentality echo-chamber that it is, suddenly everyone has a faulty Switch.

Ever since Google took over pixel manufacturing there have been nothing but issues!

This isn't Nintendo's fault, it's the Google pixels that are crap!!!

Pretty transparent market with well educated consumers that knows this isn't something that is "normal". The company line will change as more and more people complain.

I will never use it in "tablet" mode so this isn't really a concern of mine. I can see how this would be an issue, but people have to remember that this is a console and should be connected to your tv most of the time.

This may be the case for yourself, but you can't just say the problem doesn't exist because it won't affect you. Nintendo advertised this as a dual purpose gaming device, if half of that is now rendered disappointing people have all the rights to be upset.

My advise if your not too sure, buy it someplace that has a no questions asked refund policy, that way you can just bring it back and go get one at another store. It's a huge pain in the *** granted, but if Nintendo doesn't want to respect their customers by honoring a zero dead pixel policy it leaves you little choice to guarantee satisfaction.

On top of that, if you have a need to play videogames everywhere you go then you have some social problems you need to get checked out. I remember watching the announcement trailer and the guy takes his dog for a walk and is playing his switch the whole time. What kind of a**hole ignores his pet to play videogames?

Well, you kind of already said it yourself, an a**hole ignores their pet to play a videogame, hit the nail on the head.

I bet if I was buying this console directly from Nintendo and "a few of my dollars" were defective (as in non-existent or counterfeit) they would think it was a big issue. Funny how when you flip a coin on its other side it is a completely different issue...

Well when it comes to dead pixels, I have only had an issue once and they wouldn't replace it due to 1 dead pixel, which sucked since I couldn't ignore it.

This may be the case for yourself, but you can't just say the problem doesn't exist because it won't affect you.
You hit the nail on the head, it's not a problem to him. He never said it was not an issue, he even clarifies how it could be an issue.

Ever since Google took over pixel manufacturing there have been nothing but issues!

This isn't Nintendo's fault, it's the Google pixels that are crap!!!
No likes so far? Oh my... nope, not funny.

I bet if I was buying this console directly from Nintendo and "a few of my dollars" were defective (as in non-existent or counterfeit) they would think it was a big issue. Funny how when you flip a coin on its other side it is a completely different issue...
Wat? K thx...

My Samsung is a 4k/65" Zero Dead pixels !
Thank you, this gives a lot of feedback into the topic.

Back