Watch the Nintendo Switch hands-on event in Tokyo

midian182

Staff member

Update: March 3rd release date confirmed, to be sold at $299.99 in the US.

In the time since Nintendo unveiled the Switch back in October, the company has been pretty quiet when it comes to revealing the hybrid console’s details. But on January 12, we’ll find out more about the machine at a livestreamed event in Tokyo, which will be followed by a hands-on presentation in New York the day after.

Nintendo’s president, Tatsumi Kimishima, said that the Switch’s exact release date and price will be revealed at the Japan event, along with highlights from some games currently in development. On January 13, the device will get its hands-on debut in the US.

The five-hour event “will further emphasize some of the details that Nintendo plans to announce.” The company hasn’t said exactly where in New York it will be held or whether it will be open to the public – it could be restricted to press and select invitees only.

One of the few Switch details Nintendo has talked about is its custom Nvidia Tegra chip. The news that it will feature 4GB RAM and a 6.2-inch, 10-point multitouch capacitive screen comes from other sources.

While the launch price of the Switch will be confirmed in January, wholesale prices given to international retailers suggest it will be around $250 for the base model and $300 for the version with extra internal storage and a bundled game.

As the Switch’s March launch date approaches, expect to see more of these hands-on events taking place. While many people have already pre-ordered, it may be best to wait until January, when Nintendo reveals the console's launch details, before committing.

Permalink to story.

Why couldn't they just build a solid device?

A Nintendo 3DS and 3DS:XL (for dual sizes, just like iPhone) that have dual analog sticks, rather than a left stick and a ridiculous analog *nub* - and then add a remote play base charging station that plugs to the TV for 1080p gaming (or better).

This thing looks ridiculous and the third party is going to ignore it.

The most you'll have is classic 1st party titles.

A Nintendo 3DS and 3DS:XL (for dual sizes, just like iPhone) that have dual analog sticks, rather than a left stick and a ridiculous analog *nub* - and then add a remote play base charging station that plugs to the TV for 1080p gaming (or better).

literally dozens of third party developers have already pledged support.

Realistically those 3rd party supporters will probably create underwhelming ports of those games compared to the more hardcore consoles. I fear this will not be treated like a full console and rather a more powerful handheld console. On another note, I love the 1st party Nintendo games and will still buy the device for those games. I have a New 3DS XL and I love it. If they can continue creating good games like I've experienced with that, then I'm sold.

Realistically those 3rd party supporters will probably create underwhelming ports of those games compared to the more hardcore consoles. I fear this will not be treated like a full console and rather a more powerful handheld console. On another note, I love the 1st party Nintendo games and will still buy the device for those games. I have a New 3DS XL and I love it. If they can continue creating good games like I've experienced with that, then I'm sold.

THANK YOU

Have we learned nothing since the abysmal failure of Wii:U?

3rd party developers do not want to be tasked with developing for an underpowered platform. They want to develop for a desktop environment and then scale down for the consoles which are weaker versions of desktop PC's running proprietary interfaces.

How many developers are gonna wanna port "Battlefield 5" down to that little display and make it playable with a controller set with a couple buttons?

What's the last good fps anyone has played on Nintendo? Goldeneye? Perfect Dark? I am pretty convinced Nintendo doesn't care about the mess of Fps games out there. They have been a company about doing "something different" since the wii. I don't expect them to care about your lack of desire to play because you can't play call of duty xyz or battlefield 123.

What's the last good fps anyone has played on Nintendo? Goldeneye? Perfect Dark? I am pretty convinced Nintendo doesn't care about the mess of Fps games out there. They have been a company about doing "something different" since the wii. I don't expect them to care about your lack of desire to play because you can't play call of duty xyz or battlefield 123.

This is what bothers me: about SONY and Nintendo.

The PSP and DS/XL were in a perfect position to have decent FPS and 3rdPS gameplay, but they refused to put a second analog stick on the devices.

Sony didn't do it till Vita.

Nintendo gave you an ugly, bulky add on, and then added a half-assed nub on the newer model.

Why are they so stupid?

And they wonder why the 3rd party is going to forget them this coming generation.

The PSP and DS/XL were in a perfect position to have decent FPS and 3rdPS gameplay, but they refused to put a second analog stick on the devices.

Nintendo gave you an ugly, bulky add on, and then added a half-assed nub on the newer model.

Why are they so stupid?

And they wonder why the 3rd party is going to forget them this coming generation.
Nintendo has been criticized in the past for the Wii, which they did very well with without fps games playing a significant role. Nintendo doesn't want to be what everyone else is. Nintendo wants to be an enticing other option, especially for families with younger kids who don't need to grow up shooting and killing everyone they consider friends.

3rd party devs pledged support for the Wii U as well. EA, Ubisoft, ect all pledged. Guess what? They released less than a handful of crappy ports and then abandoned the console.

I watched the presentation. Zelda breath of the wild looks like a good game being held back by the hardware. When they show the open world part of the game it's barren, like worse than Oblivion on the Xbox 360 barren. Other games are noticeably low quality with obvious aliasing. At best the switch is as powerful as the Wii U. I wouldn't even categorize it as a console because there are tablets just as powerful. It won't even be possible to port a large portion of games simply because the Switch doesn't have the horsepower.

Let's not even get started on the $300 price point, which is more expensive then both the Xbox One and PS4. Both of those consoles sport better graphics and more games than the switch. Not to mention you don't have to worry about charging your console.

Nintendo also announced they are charging a fee to be able to play online as well now. So not only do you have inferior graphics, you also have to keep paying for an inferior online service. Nintendo has never had an online gaming service like Microsoft and Sony has and announcing right off the bat that they are charging for it just puts me off. It's like Nintendo doesn't realize that the Wii U was an utter failure and people will just ignore the Switch if it's presenting much worse value than what we already have.

I wonder if this will be region locked or not... I really fancy buying imports again!

It's already been confirmed to not be region locked so you can import any games you want.

Why are they so stupid?

The PSP did sell well in Japan but bombed in America. The DS did well everywhere and that's likely due to it being the only dedicated mobile gaming device on the market. Sure you have tablets and phones but not ones with Nintendo games on them.

The Switch on the other hand is in a weird place. It's pricey enough where many kids will not be able to have santa get them one for christmas (the low price of the DS was one of it's main draws) while not being powerful enough to run the latest games. Not to mention paying for online service for kids 12 and under isn't going to play in many households. $300 + $15 / month per kid just for a mobile gaming device is way too much. Not powerful enough to attract console games and too pricey for mobile gamers, IMO this device has no place on the market and it doesn't bring any innovative features that separate it. Very disappointed in Nintendo.

I love the sheer number of people who can't wrap their heads around what Nintendo is and has already been doing for a long time now.

It's not the latest graphics card slapped on a dvd(blu-ray) player!!!
It's not gonna play the same games everything else is already playing!!!
It's controls are weird and different!!!

It's strange and it's scaring me!
Ergo, Nintendo is DOOOOOOMED.

Just wow, people. Third party support is and has always been trivial for Nintendo. 1st party games from Nintendo have always been on a level of their own, worlds apart from what the Xbox and Playstation have. As for the graphics, that's just an asinine complaint. Graphics are not the point, have never been. Nintendo has always been far more focused on the gameplay experience, but mention that to anyone and you might as well be speaking an alien language.

Funny thing is, anyone who complains about hardware inferiority between one console and the other (nevermind that they serve entirely distinct purposes) is being intellectually dishonest and ignoring the elephant in the room.

At the same time, the same person complains about the cost (a sweet spot missed by $50) and that the hardware is not as powerful as could have been, while handwaving away the entire concept of associated costs and presenting no alternative that did the same for cheaper nor better for the same cost.

I cant wait for these to release, only to find nintendo gave every retailer 3 of them for the entire year, and will ship out 2 more for black friday. Prices online will quickly triple within a week. Nintendo will give out the "unprecedented demand" BS again, only for it to be exposed that they have a single person in japan making these by hand.

Oh, and cant wait for third parties to drop this thing like a hot potato, and nintendo to initially supportit, only to not release another game for over two years like the wii u.

Back