Nintendo Switch Review

This probably is an unpopular opinion, but id rather have nintendo made the switch a full on gaming tablet, with focus on battery life and adding media functionality than the "hybrid console" thing.

Id love to use the switch on a daily basis for portable gaming but 3 hours wont cut it; and the price is steep just to play the few nintendo exclusives I love (which is sadly the case with the wii U and the 3ds)

This probably is an unpopular opinion, but id rather have nintendo made the switch a full on gaming tablet, with focus on battery life and adding media functionality than the "hybrid console" thing.

Id love to use the switch on a daily basis for portable gaming but 3 hours wont cut it; and the price is steep just to play the few nintendo exclusives I love (which is sadly the case with the wii U and the 3ds)

It is essentially that. The only thing they added to make it more game console like is the ability to cast to a big screen. Otherwise it is essentially a mobile gaming tablet. Unfortunately Nintendo had to pack all their motion detection gear into the switch and the battery life isn't amazing. They could have gone with lower end hardware but then it would really be constrained by it's hardware.

Not a bad idea really. Nintendo has always stayed strong on the portable gaming systems.

As for me, I've been burnt several times by Nintendo. So I am going to sit and wait this out before committing to possibly flushing my money (again.)

I really do like Nintendo, but they never seem to reach their full potential. Instead, they tend to abandon ship pretty fast and not leave any lifeboats for the consumers.

Don't even get me started with their gimmick crap like Amiibos. SMH for those.

I somewhat agree as I see myself mainly playing the switch on the go or in bed like I do my 3ds. If I'm sitting at home I'm likely sitting at my PC or on the couch using my steamlink, but with a focus on local multiplayer I can see my switch getting used a lot on the TV. Either way I'm very excited to pickup my Switch Friday at 12:01am :D

I'm with all of you, the idea is an attractive one, I've been thinking in getting a 3DS or waiting for the Switch, let's see how it goes after a couple of weeks.

The multiplayer part of the Switch is what has me on my toes, but this review is not all that great.

I would have preferred that too. I know they won't, but I'd like Nintendo to even just make an iOS app, bluetooth controllers, and maybe a proprietary base station. They could then focus more on content, kike how about a new Metroid game worthy of the title!
I have NES, SNES, Gamecube, Wii and 3DS XL.

How do you bypass the laws of physics?

I mean, how would this more powerful full on gaming tablet be different, unless you make it much larger and heavier. How would you make it still cost the same price?

You can't simply pick and choose, because it's apples and oranges. The Switch is not less powerful because it's a tablet that can also connect to a TV, and in doing so making it less powerful.

They did not sacrifice internals in order to have a TV mode, they sacrificed internals in order to have a decent battery life.

The way I see it Nintendo has taken its first step into consolidating both it's console and portable gaming businesses into one. It's a given that we will see their game developers more focused and productive this way.

How do you bypass the laws of physics?

I mean, how would this more powerful full on gaming tablet be different, unless you make it much larger and heavier. How would you make it still cost the same price?

You can't simply pick and choose, because it's apples and oranges. The Switch is not less powerful because it's a tablet that can also connect to a TV, and in doing so making it less powerful.

They did not sacrifice internals in order to have a TV mode, they sacrificed internals in order to have a decent battery life.
they sacrified internals to have detachable controllers and all of the sensors required to utilize them.
If the controllers were static they could have made a much bigger battery.

Everything else Id ask of it would be software implementation. though more bulk for even more battery would have been fine with me.
Not to mention the added cost of the controllers.

I really wish the battery life and screen were a bit better, especially given how chunky the tablet is.

Just as a reminder, they advertise it with Skyrim, a game from 2012. Not the remaster and without mods even.

The switch is a sad and pathetic joke in every aspect that includes mobility/portability. Just get the 3DS if you got to have new nintendo games and wait for them going the Sega path.

I want a new Dreamcast... but knowing how it wouldn't be the same thing... no thanks.

Zelda looks like a childish Witcher clone on low graphics... what are people seeing in that game? Even if you reduce it down to gameplay and story its still meh.

No online account so you got to buy mario kart 8 again and all the classics again and another underwhelming pro controller again and so forth. The storage is so sad they could of have at least gone with 50GB or something. My old Windows 7 Acer tablet used to have "32" (actually 29) and then the OS I had to uninstall everything to be able to get updates...

Zelda looks like a childish Witcher clone on low graphics... what are people seeing in that game? Even if you reduce it down to gameplay and story its still meh.

No online account so you got to buy mario kart 8 again and all the classics again and another underwhelming pro controller again and so forth. The storage is so sad they could of have at least gone with 50GB or something. My old Windows 7 Acer tablet used to have "32" (actually 29) and then the OS I had to uninstall everything to be able to get updates...

Agreed. Never saw the appeal in that series at all - feels like an uber-simplified and crappy RPG for kids. I suppose if you're under 10 years old or have never played any one of a thousand better RPGs out there, this could be appealing as a game. #shrug

As for the Switch, it's classic Nintendo to provide some half-assed feature - and usually one already done better on current high-end consoles or PCs - and then for reviewers to champion it like it's the best thing since sliced bread, which is what this reviewer does, unfortunately (with no disrespect at him, he wrote a GREAT review here, so many thanks to him either way). I'm referring to how there's praise for the Screenshot feature when other consoles (and of course the PC) already offer not just this but full-blown video capture features. But we should get excited because the Switch can take a screenshot, yay!!! ::: clapping in faux excited fashion ::::

#rollingmyeyes

Agreed. Never saw the appeal in that series at all - feels like an uber-simplified and crappy RPG for kids. I suppose if you're under 10 years old or have never played any one of a thousand better RPGs out there, this could be appealing as a game. #shrug

I don't care much for Zelda, because as an individual it's not particularly the type of game that I like. But listen to your logic.

This new Zelda game is one of the highest reviewed games of all times. It's being considered a masterpiece, yet since you don't like it, you simplify it to it's a crappy game, and imply that its success is due to ten year olds. (Which is another weird comment, considering the age of the people who go crazy over the game. I could easily more imagine a ten year old that wasn't even alive when all the craziness of the Wii version of Zelda came out, disliking the new one due to it not looking cool enough, or random famboy reasons that have nothing to do with gameplay.)

I don't care much for Zelda, because as an individual it's not particularly the type of game that I like. But listen to your logic.

This new Zelda game is one of the highest reviewed games of all times. It's being considered a masterpiece, yet since you don't like it, you simplify it to it's a crappy game, and imply that its success is due to ten year olds. (Which is another weird comment, considering the age of the people who go crazy over the game. I could easily more imagine a ten year old that wasn't even alive when all the craziness of the Wii version of Zelda came out, disliking the new one due to it not looking cool enough, or random famboy reasons that have nothing to do with gameplay.)

You find my comment weird because you don't understand it.

Ofc the Press and the common Nintendo folk find it amazing. It is their duty to find everything with the Zelda name on it amazing. Btw many reviewers have gotten a review copy by Nintendo. If they would criticise the game then they wont get any more review copies.

I checked the game and gameplay out by a fair amount to form an opinion based on knowledge. I can differenciate between not liking something and something being of bad quality.

Like for example I don't think that Barbie Dolls are bad but I don't like them since I am not the target audience.

Quite frankly, I don't care much about how high something like Kotaku or IGN or Nintendo fans rate something in their reviews.

Last edited:
You find my comment weird because you don't understand it.

Ofc the Press and the common Nintendo folk find it amazing. It is their duty to find everything with the Zelda name on it amazing. Btw many reviewers have gotten a review copy by Nintendo. If they would criticise the game then they wont get any more review copies.

I checked the game and gameplay out by a fair amount to form an opinion based on knowledge. I can differenciate between not liking something and something being of bad quality.

Like for example I don't think that Barbie Dolls are bad but I don't like them since I am not the target audience.

Quite frankly, I don't care much about how high something like Kotaku or IGN or Nintendo fans rate something in their reviews.

So it's all one big conspiracy?

I don't like Zelda, and bought The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess 10 years ago with the Wii, and I only went about a quarter of the game through. Probably less. Not my kind of game, but I recognized the quality, and great puzzle solving.

I do not like Smash Brothers at all. Not one bit, boring as hell, but I don't dismiss its extreme popularity as being the result of a blinded media and Nintendo fans.

It is what it is. If it generates lots of people spending countless hours, than it is what it is, and people are not going to waste their time on something just because.

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time is even the most speed run game in the world.

Logically thinking, people are not just going to waste so much time, money, etc on something because they're hypnotized. Even if I don't particularly care about the game. It's not something like buying an iPhone because a person think it's going to impress the people seeing them with that iPhone.

So it's all one big conspiracy?

If you haven't realised it yet, popular youtubers like angryjoe or sterling are having big problems with nintendo videos.

Its no secret that if you are not positively reviewing things, then you don't get review copies prior to release, which means your channel will go down hard. Others like Kotaku have been blacklisted by Ubisoft for being too critical. Reprecussions can go from no longer getting interviews to all sorts of things. They will simply stop cooperating with you at which point you become less relevant. Media is all about relevance.

I liked Zelda on the SNES. If you like what Nintendo offers then by all means do what you want but don't expect me to praise their junk.

Well the world is full with people that I can't stand like this one and they like the new Zelda so there's that...
watch?v=0oM5kmr0iik

Oy look new news today: you can't copy over your game save files over to the SD card. They're bound to the tiny internal storage. There's not even a cloud that would take them so if you lose your Switch or if the storage fails... you lose all your save files.

Back